We are slowly making our way through the cold winter months. Yesterday, though, I felt was a turning point.
It wasn't because Deckles was home from school with a bad cold that Sean has also caught - which led to both Jim and I being up several times that night. It wasn't the darn cold walk to school in the morning with Kathleen, Declan and Sean in tow where I finally determined that I should receive some sort of government danger pay for walking outside in such cold weather (and I think it really only was the windchill yesterday). It wasn't the fact that once again, Sean's side minivan door was once again frozen shut.
It was ... when we emerged from swimming lessons yesterday at 5:10pm, the sun was still shinning! It is such a relief to see sunlight during the daylight hours. As Jim always likes to say, it all downhill after the summer solstice in June - sure the weather gets nicer but the days get shorter. So, while the days will still get colder, and we will still get snow, slush, sleet and other miserable weather elements for at least the next two, or two and half months, it has all been positive change since the winter solstice almost a month ago. One month in, and you can can already see the difference.
I was even quickly perusing the Land's End mail catalogue today - the cute little dresses, spring flowers and specials on buying t-shirts in bulk - spring will soon be here.
1 comment:
My Nana always said that the winter solstice was her favourite day of the year because it meant we were heading back towards summer. Every Dec. 21 I think of her and am reassured that winter won't last for ever!
Post a Comment