January 16, 2008

When white is not white!

I think we are sticking with our white kitchen. I will soon need to pick that white because not all whites are white, or at least the proper white.

I found two articles in magazines over the past few years where I love the kitchen. One kitchen is based on the famous 'Somethings Gotta Give Kitchen' (which by the way, is one of the biggest google hits for my blog!). The second is a kitchen Jim and I both agreed was 'the one' several months ago but which got pushed aside for my love of the white & black kitchen. [As an aside, it is the original kitchen - white, with honed brown granite - which will now be Caesarstone and an 'espresso' stained island with a cream countertop - that appears to have won our hearts yet again - sorry Diane and Jack.)

Thankfully, both articles provide the paint colour. The one article describes how the woman went to extreme lengths to get the perfect white for her kitchen - Benjamin Moore - Dune White (CC-70) so I find comfort in her choice. I don't plan to spend anywhere the same amount of time choosing a paint colour as she inferred she spent. The second article (the now 'in' kitchen in this house) has White Down, just a few steps removed on the Benjamin Moore fan deck at CC-50 and just one step away from the trim colour of Cloud White (CC-40).

I can 'see' the difference between the two (or three colours) but not sure how one makes a choice on the white. Funny thing - these whites aren't even referring to Benjamin Moore's Off-white collection (though, I think two of them appear in that collection).

When I started this process, I would have never known choosing a white paint could be so hard. I guess it will come down to the tile colour and the countertops to solve my (self-imposed) dilemma!

No comments: