January 11, 2008

Powder room - finished, in concept

I am a devotee of the Canadian designer Sarah Richardson. I love her two tv shows - Design Inc. and Sarah's House. I mightn't always like what she does (I could only decorate in my style) to be in my house, but her designs, and her team, are quite wonderful.

One of the big hits with me was her 'Sarah's House' episode on the powder room. It was a tiny room in the basement of her reno, an old house in Toronto. She made it spectacular. Here is a link to her column discussing the little bathroom.

I wanted something similar with a WOW factor but a little less fussy. My bathroom will also be used by four children and two adults so it won't be quite the guest bathroom unless I tell the kiddos to go upstairs (or downstairs) to another bathroom (hmmmm???).

I think I have it. The designer was here yesterday, a marathon design session of four straight hours, discussing our design issues - the big concept ideas, nothing small yet. But we did cover off the powder room.

I will be off to the tile place next week (sorry Kathleen, yet another boring place to visit) to see more stone. She wants me to see a limestone product, called cobblestone I believe in a walnut colour. I think it is still very light coloured. This stone will travel through the entire front hall and into the powder room.

The powder will have the same material but in smaller format - bricks framing a basket weave. I think it will be awesome. I have found fixtures (American Standard - see link here) for a nice sink which is similar to the one used in Sarah's House but on a smaller scale for my even tinier bathroom and its matching toilet. The light fixture, mirror and paint colour is yet undecided but at least the big items are picked.

I am getting so excited.

No comments: