January 7, 2008

Raised waffles

A few years ago, I got Jim a belgian waffle maker. Poor guy always seems to get kitchen cookware/appliances that I want - I use them mainly (the roasting pan, the griddle, the mandolin, the waffle maker) - but he does benefit from them.

The waffle maker is likely our least used item (OK - the mandolin wins), but when I do use it, I love it. Waffles, especially belgian waffles are so tasty. It also helps that they are made from scratch (so no risk of trans fats) and also the batter requires very little sugar. The syrup gives enough sugar to my gang.

When ever I do try to make the waffles, I have to seek ou my favourite recipe - so here goes.


Raised waffles

Ingredients
1/2 cup warm water
1 package dry yeast
2 cups milk, warm
1/2 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 eggs
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Directions
Put the water in a large mixing bowl and sprinkle with yeast. Let stand to dissolve for about 5 minutes. Add warm milk, melted butter, salt, sugar and flour to the yeast mixture; beat until well-blended and smooth. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let stand overnight at room temperature. Just before cooking the waffles, beat in the eggs, add the baking soda, and stir until well mixed - the batter will be thin. Pour batter into sections of a very hot waffle iron. Cook the waffles until they are golden brown. Raised waffle recipe serves about 4 people.

Source: Southernfoods.about.com

I don't make them the night before - I let the batter rise for an hour or so. I should try the overnight process one day now that I have two fridges in action.

No comments: