Health Canada is on the verge of announcing the bisphenol-A, a component of my clear baby bottles, as a dangerous substance - the first country in the world to do so! We have used these bottles with the first three kiddos. My SIL first mentioned the BPA issue (and microwaving bottles) about a year ago. I hadn't heard of it but when Deckles gave up the bottle at the same time, I didn't adapt my expectations for the bottles. The bottles were packaged away and stored for Seanie. With the breastfeeding, the kiddo has yet to really get a bottle - so no biggie, for him.
I was thinking, just this morning, that Seanie will likely forgo bottles completely so I could continue to ignore whether BPA was, or wasn't dangerous. At 10 months, I guess no real reason to start with a bottle, I will just go with the BPA-free sippies.
I feel a bit taken - what else is out there that is causing us harm. I do think many items in our homes are dangerous to our health - carpets, paints, cleaning supplies, vinyl floors, cheap formeldyhde wood products - yikes!
I will say, though, I have read some research, that indicates that as long as the bottles aren't heated (or put cold milk in the bottle only), they leaching isn't an issue. However, since most parents do heat the milk/formula, it mightn't be pratical to assume that leaching won't be an issue.
Might get off the computer and go pitch the bottles as they are all still in their plastic bag - today is garbage day!
3 comments:
Avent has the least leaching (of the bottles that have BPA) in the tests that were run. The problem is that most of the other types of plastic bottles (and sippies) is that they have phthalates in them that are known to cause cancer. I'm sure it will eventually come out that the only chemically safe bottle is a glass bottle (which comes with it's own set of safety issues breakage-wise). Medela bottles (luckily what I used -- they came with my pump, woo hoo!) are supposed to be both phthalate and bisphenol-A free but who knows... tomorrow they could have Argenouthal G (I made that up if you couldn't tell) which could be the worst thing since nuclear radiation... We can only do our best, don't beat yourself up too much. From what I read the main leaching came from sitting in the bottles for longish periods so milk storage is definitely out...
Woo Hoo! More research shows that IKEA's children's plasticware and utensils are safe! A trip to IKEA may be in order (to buy more).
And what about those "disposable" Gladware storage containers. I heat stuff up in them all the time! Are they contaminated as well?
Post a Comment