April 8, 2008

Jinxed

My sister told me several weeks ago that I had jinxed myself. And, she is right.

I have been always taken aback by kiddos who puke - on planes, carseats, at night - for some kiddos (and I mean older kiddos, Andrew was a reflux baby so puke was a multiple-day occurence in the first 18 months). We have never had that.

My kiddos have been puking pretty much non-stop (just in rotation) for the past several weeks. We have had a few sick kiddos but typically the puking isn't related to an apparently sick child. They actually seem just fine after it happens. We just seem to be puking, in bed, at night, a lot.

They do seem to follow the same pattern. Several weeks ago, Kathleen puked on the kitchen floor - a few days later, Andrew puked on the kitchen floor. Kathleen was sick in her bed, then Andrew was sick in his bed. (One way to ensure a timely change of the bunk bed sheets!) A few days ago, Andrew was sick during the night in his bed. Thankfully, Jim got up with the poor hysterical boy. (Kuddos to Magic School Bus - Andrew kept repeating that his white blood cells were working very hard.)

Last night, apparently, Kathleen was sick in her bed. I get the honours of cleaning up this mess. I am not sure how children fall back to sleep in their sickness, but in this case she did. She then got up this morning, and decided to shake all the dried puke tangled in her hair all over her carpet floor. I went in this morning - smelt it and then was wondering what could be all over the floor - puke bits.

Thinking I will phone the carpet cleaners today - while not staining the rug since it is dried, it cannot be that sanitary to have a dried 'protein spill' scattered all over the rug. The vaccuum should make quick work of the bits, but still.

Deckles has been relatively sick free - he did mess up his carseat on the way to school a few months back (he was the first to start the pattern) but has yet to follow up (tonight maybe?) Sean nailed me a few days ago, in the middle of the night, as I was given him Tempra for his fever. Not sure if it was a true event or a gag reflex on the banana flavoured Tempra - but he got me good.

Hopefully, with the arrival of spring, the sickies will go the way of the snowbanks and relieve us from this seemingly never-ending cycle of puke.

1 comment:

Arwen said...

My daughter, Emma, was never a puker even as a baby. Until she hit the age of five, I think she had puked maybe three times (including burp-ups as an infant). Then, last year, our house became Puke Central. As crazy as it seems, I think it's allergies. I know there is always a LOT of mucusy stuff... when she would have a puking jag, I'd give her a Claritin in the morning for a couple weeks. The puking has now fortunately slowed down. I guess her tummy just couldn't handle all the snot. Post-nasal drip is the bane of my family.