July 20, 2007

The wedding dress

What the heck do I do with my wedding dress? It has been hanging faithfully in my closet for close on seven years. It was a beautiful dress that I still think holds some fashion - very classic dress. I don't really feel like getting it preserved - it does need to be cleaned if someone else wants it though. My mom kept her dress, all sealed up in its wedding dress box, for thirty odd years. She finally say her goodbyes at the last move - it moved many many times. I somehow vaguely remember her mentioned that it was even damaged even in its perfect encasement. Kathleen has mentioned she will wear it - but alas, I don't put that much value in a five year old's foresight of fashion sense for her own wedding some 20+ years from now.

I would rather not throw it out and I guess don't really care if I get any money for it? I have used freecyle a few times this past week (will save that for another post) - I guess that could be an option.

Any ideas?

2 comments:

Jana said...

Mine is preserved in a big box with a window along with my veils. I have visions of this big iron print on the skirt that I'll discover when I pull it out one day.(Horror of horrors.) I would love for someone in my family to wear it one day if they wanted too but I realize that is probably not likely. I am keeping it mainly as a piece of familial history. One day I can get it out and show it to my niece or granddaughters and we can ooooohhh and aaaaahhhh and reminisce and they can try it on and I can see if it still fits. My mom still has a few of my prom and pagaent dresses but I have no bond with those. I have told her to get rid of them but my wedding dress is a different story. I just could never part with it.

I do plan on calling a formalwear resale shop to see about selling a couple of bridesmaids dresses and formals and my petticoat. I would definitely go that route for your dress. With the money that you make you could go buy yourself a piece of jewelry and every time you wear it you could think of your dress and your wedding day.

AmyRobynne said...

If I ever have a daughter, I like the idea of using my wedding dress and turning it into a first communion dress (I've also heard of people using them for baptism gowns, but we've already got a family heirloom there). I think it's asking a lot to assume a family member would like the dress as is, but taking pieces to create something different seems possible.