July 16, 2007

Rock a bye preschooler

Andrew woke up last night in the middle of the night. As always, he gets up running, even if he was still very drowsy, and was headed for the stairs. The idea that it is still very dark doesn't dissuade a 3-year-old that it isn't quite wake up time. It was about 3am. I had fallen asleep in our bed with Sean on my chest but my bedside light was still on. I can only guess Andrew thought the parents must have been up with the lighted room so why not get up as well. I called to him, and he came to bed with us.

I haven't rocked Andrew to sleep in a few years now. It is incredible to think that I once rocked him to sleep, swaddled in the same blankets and even in the same outfits as Sean now wears. I held Andrew and looked at Sean - and simply can't comprehend the passage of time. As Andrew closed his eyes, it also surprised me how much he looks like his father - a very peaches n'cream blonded haired version of his father, but nevertheless, an incredible resemblance to Jim. He has the same long face, same nose and same eyelids - he is a very attractive little boy. I sometimes watch Jim sleep as I nurse Sean in the middle of the night - the resemblance is unmistakable.

To watch Andrew doze was amazing. Sometimes, being awoken in the night is a wonderful time to sit quietly and simply stare at your brood. I couldn't rock him that long - a close to 40lb. preschooler is a bit heavy after becoming accustomed to a 10lb. newborn. I took Andrew back to his bed after a few minutes and laid beside him as he nestled back under his covers and fell asleep until morning.

2 comments:

mi said...

Ahhh, those are the sweet moments.

Anonymous said...

I used to think I was the only one who treasured those moments in the middle of the night. Another beautiful memory to tuck away in your heart.