July 10, 2007

Oh crap

How do you replace keys on a Dell laptop computer?

And, I though Declan just looked cute sitting behind the computer last night. Little did I know that we now have the Ctrl, Caps Lock, Shift and Fn key no longer attached to the computer.

Frig - and I was suppose to phone Dell today because our screen is on the fritz and the computer is humming. How do I explain the missing keys?

Update ... Sometimes everything does work out. I did phone Dell. After about 2 hours of telephone assistance with technical support in India (how cool is that?), Dell fixed my computer screen issue. The issue was some sort of conflict between the video driver and Microsoft products. To further enrich my life, they shipped me a new keyboard for the laptop which arrived today via Puralotor. I am not exactly sure why I 'deserved' a new keyboard given the cause. I did learn something though, with young kiddos, perhaps extended warranties are worthwhile. I plan to install my new keyboard tomorrow and not let Deckie near the computer ever again!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh Ann, too funny! Maybe Deckie will be an IT guy in the future!

i wouldnt even bother calling Dell, unless they will replace it for free..

ebay has tons of dell keyboards lists, pretty cheap!!

Cris

AmyRobynne said...

If you figure it out, let me know -- my f1 and 2 keys have been off for awhile, thanks to the cat mostly, and Leo a bit. Three others used to be off but I was able to push them back on. These two came off differently and I can't figure it out. I called Dell once and got a huge runaround as they tried to explain it, meanwhile both boys turned into complete terrors and I ended up hanging up on Dell-man because it wasn't worth the havoc.

mi said...

Faulty engineering?

Undomestic said...

So far both my boys have picked off my keys. On my mac computer, they just replaced the keys, at no cost. For my pc, I was told I had to send it away for a few weeks...blah, blah blah. I finally had a friend's husband come over who was able to fix some of the essential keys (like the space bar), and the rest I was able to just use by pushing down the little rubber cushion, or covering the sensor with my finger. But then I spilled an entire cup of coffee on the whole thing....which meant a new computer and new keyboard. Ella hasn't tried to pick at the keys on my new computer...yet! Glad you were able to get yours replaced!