July 24, 2007

Declutter mode extraordinaire

I have discovered Freecycle. I had actually read about Freecycle many months ago on another blog and was taken with the idea. We have a lot of excess stuff in this house, some that has been moved several times. When we moved into this house three years ago, much of it found its way to the basement 'storage' room and hasn't been really seen since that day.

With the pending move now less than two months away, and a lot of our stuff destined for long-term storage, I cannot fathom putting unused items into storage. According to the movers, we are on the verge of a third palette ($75/month), so if I could declutter and pack very efficiently, it might save us a bit of money.

So, I posted seven items to Freecycle - a baby bassinet, a trunk, a bookshelf, a baby playcentre, an old rocking chair, a stereo stand and a x-mas tree holder. I have had takers on six of the seven items (alright, I just through the x-mas tree holder into the mix ... you never do know!) and four of those items have removed from my possession.

Incredibly, everyone who came to pick-up stuff were quite nice - many collecting for recently separated people who have 'nothing'. I guess I was a bit nervous I would have weird people showing up at my door - but no, everyone has been very very nice! I have a few more items to give out so will gather them this week to be posted next week. It is so much nicer not to throw out items that definitely have more life left.

BTW, most communities have a freecycle board, check out yours .... www.freecycle.org

No comments: