Declan has been exclusively breastfed for his first six months (aside from two small bottles of formula at 2 and 4 weeks of age, or so). I had been planning on holding off on solids until after we returned from my trip out west to see my parents. The delay was in part due to my intense desire to keep my baby a baby but also feeding solids to a young one is a messy and time-consuming affair. I was given the thumbs up by the pediatrician earlier this week to hold off until seven months.
A few things happened this week which changed my opinion. Declan has been terrible at night, up 4 or 5 times each night for the past 10 days or so. I do think it is partially related to teething, the heat and a bit of a cold but will also admit, the boy is somewhat fond of the breast. Where would you rather be if you were a baby - alone in your co-sleeper 12 inches from your mom or attached and in bed with your mom? Declan is a smart little kid. The second thing - Declan has been stealing food from the dinner table and today at the park, jammed a big chunk of peanut butter and banana into his mouth - I didn't stand a chance. I admitted it, it was time for solids. Peanut butter shouldn't be a child's first food.
When we got home from the park - I amassed all required ingredients. I even pumped almost four ounces of breastmilk to add to my organic baby cereal. The child gobbled up his two tablespoons of cereal, mixed with 2 ounces of breastmilk. He didn't even question the spoon in front of his mouth. He even was slurping it all down (it was really really runny.) Not to be out done, I gave him a bottle with the remaining bit of pumped breastmilk. He sucked that back as well. Still not finished by this miraculous introduction of both solids and a bottle - by the end of the bottle, the child was holding it himself.
Unbelievable - I guess he was ready for solids.
BTW, he is sleeping now.
3 comments:
I guess he WAS hungry! That's too funny. It is a touch bittersweet when they start to want other sources of food, isn't it? Some moms find it too demanding to be the only source, but I found it was nice to be needed.
That is really cute! We had the same experience with Logan, such a chowhound!
Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»
Post a Comment