I found out today that one of the teachers at my children's daycare died last week. She was 32 years old, a new mom of a healthy 2 week old baby boy, a wife. She died of a brain aneurysm; she was otherwise a picture of health. Why was she, her husband and her little boy dealt such a bad round of cards?
Nothing can describe the loss of a vibrant young woman, a new mom. I can only think of the things she will miss in her little babe's life. Things so simple but so amazingly sweet, memorable and funny. I have been thinking of all the firsts all three of my children have brought me. She will miss all those firsts - the first smile, the first night of full sleep, the first full night of no sleep, the first blow-out diaper, the first giggle, the first solids, the first roll, the first crawl, the first words, the first steps - and those are just the beginning of a lifetime of joy children bring to their parents. I think of her husband at home with his new son, seeing his wife in the babe's little eyes, nose or mouth. I think of her a lot.
I will always remember her happy hellos in the morning at school, her commentary on Munsch books (the language can be a bit off for preschoolers), her obvious love of the children and her joy when she was promoted to a new position at a sister school. I think of her co-workers - my children's teachers - they are such a close-knit group of wonderful people. I know they are devastated.
I am angry and I am sad.
1 comment:
Ann,
That is heartbreaking. The depth of sadness I feel at reading this is nothing compared to what those who knew her must be feeling. How much those children of hers will miss. How much her husband will miss, not being able to exchange looks of pride with the mother of his children as they grow. As you wrote, how much she will miss of the joy inspired by the two beings she helped bring into world. We know a similar situation here in the last couple months, and it truly hurts to contemplate how little tenure we have here, should our time come.
Enjoy each moment. Take nothing for granted. I wish you comfort.
Post a Comment