July 3, 2006

A trip to Walmart

Despite living in the large city, I never lived that close to a Walmart until one recently opened its doors just up the road. So, it is within the past 12 months or so that I have started venturing through the doors of the retail goliath. While I normally frequent smaller retailers, sometimes Walmart is just the place for a one-stop shopping experience which yields the necessary purchases and provides amusement for my trio.

Well, Friday was our day. We actually only needed cat litter so the grocery store would have sufficed but I wanted a few more of the vehicles from 'Cars' and knew Mater had come from Walmart so off we all went. Going shopping with three little kids is always an adventure. While I have two double buggies (and three single buggies, don't ask), I can only take one buggy at a time so one little person typically needs to walk. The walking child usually is in tears even before the last child is out of the minivan. This trip did start out with those complaints but the draw of a new vehicle squashed most of the whimpering.

Back to Walmart - how can you hate the place. Within minutes, we had added to our buggy two packages of hair clips for Ms. Kate and a new package of band-aids, 'Cars' band-aids (see the theme). The cat litter took the place of one of the children in the buggy so now I had two walking children, yikes!

Kate then convinced me there really was a fish section at Walmart (who knew) so we spent a considerable amount of time looking at the fish. Did you know you can buy 'basic' fish which don't need a heated tank? Unfortunately, the cool ones, like the sharks, the toads and the other very colourful fishies whose names I can't really pronounce do require warm water or even warm salted water. I quickly looked over the broad array of equipment, added it up in my head - decided it was pretty darn cool but totally ridiculous for our current situation. The cats cause us enough problems. The Walmart fish lady, though, was a great help in telling us that yes, Walmart does carry the 'Cars' vehicles but only Lightning McQueen was available. The next shipment comes on Tuesday. We bought Lightning McQueen even though we have the McDonald's version.

Oh, another great thing about Walmart - they have McDonalds. It was only 11am so I thought buying a Happy Meal at that hour was just a little too early so we just bought the only toy available - 'Luigi' - cute little guy and fast too! Leaving 'Donalds', as Kate refers to it, without food quickly became an issue as both the 4-year old and 2-year old broke down into hysterics. Bad bad idea, mommy.

I don't think I have yet had the chance to discuss our big child-raising issue - indulging. We (dh and I) have a problem, a big problem. So, what did I do to bring peace to my little world - I drove to another McDonalds and bought three Happy Meals (I have to eat too!) I was worried we would end up with three more Luigis, while cute, he isn't my favorite. But, instead, I got my favorite toy of them all, the VW van, Fillmore ... times 3.

We went to see the movie yesterday - and loved loved loved it. Can't wait to own the DVD (x-mas, I would think). And, will definitely need to buy a few more character cars from Walmart.

1 comment:

Jen H. said...

I too have discovered the pleasures of Walmart. There was never one near us in TO either - they don't build them in the city core, just the 'burbs! But now that we are in a smaller town, our nearest decent shopping is at one of those giant complexes in the suburbs of Ottawa. And apparently our town is getting a Walmart, which I don't necessarily agree with, as it will put all the small downtown retailers out of business and further depress our little main street. But I'm sure I'll be there with bells on when they open anyway!

We also have a problem with indulging Andrew. Part of it is just that we find it fun to get him things that he loves. But I can see that it will rapidly turn into a problem if we don't stop. Yikes.