July 7, 2006

The cats and the living room chairs

I am finally able to write about the 'boys' - Alvin and Martin our two 7 year-old pure bred, sibling, recesive gene long-haired Siamese cats - and the living room chairs. I developed such ill will towards the pair when ever I discussed or thought about the living room chairs. I am over that now. It is now just time to fix the problem.

The problem is - the darn cats peed (well, actually only Alvin) on the brand new living room furniture last October (two chairs - the sofa and other chair were spared). And, despite dry cleaning the covers, steam cleaning the chairs, replacing the cushions and spraying gallons of 'Pee off' (or something pretty darn close), as soon as the humidity hits, the chairs can stink up the entire house. This past weekend, we actually opened the doors to the living room hoping that a breath of fresh air would replace the dank staleness of the living room. After months of closed doors and with no human breeching its entrance, both dh and I felt it was time. All that happened was the smell quickly spread from the confines of the locked room to the entire abode. In 80+ degree weather in a 75 year old house sans air conditioning, that isn't such a great idea.

I am fairly convinced that the initial 'accident' occurred because the chairs held a certain odour - maybe the fabric or the stuffing set the boys off after a summer of wild outdoor fun. (The new baby only arrived in January so we can't blame it on Declan.) We haven't had any other accidents elsewhere in the house. We had contemplated dealing aggressively with the cats but I do have some sort of inner spirit that 'until death do us part', in its most natural form, also applies to your pets. This smell still doesn't quite warrant a death sentence despite the huge cost to replace the stinky chairs. I am not sure if they repeat this incident again what the outcome might be.

OK - I am not really over it. I am just sick of us being locked out of the living room. The chairs are going to a new home south of the border in some Michigan dump site. (The garbage scene in Toronto will warrant a whole other post!)

1 comment:

Jen H. said...

Oh, that's such a shame about the chairs. I have heard of some odour spray for cat pee that really works. It might be called something like 'Nature's Miracle' or something like that. Can you store them in the garage for several months and they try again? Maybe some fresh outdoor air will fix the problem.

Thankfully our cat is not a pee-er. He uses his litter box consistently and I don't think he's ever had an accident or pee'd on anything. KNOCK ON WOOD. He does, however, completely destroy furniture by scratching. We looked into getting him declawed recently (at age 8) as a last resort, but couldn't fathom the cost ($795 for laser declawing). He has destroyed one of our brand new sofas. Thankfully it is a slipcovered one, and we can just buy a new cover at only a couple hundred bucks. But still - !!! I have a feeling that when he goes, we won't bother with any more pets. This from a lifelong animal lover.