I can't believe we arrived over a week ago. The plane trip was shockingly easy. DH drove us to the airport early on Sunday morning. For once, we left with sufficient time to spare to ensure I didn't do my standard freak-out routine at the airport. Yes, I have missed a plane previously so my inclination isn't unfounded. Once I cleared security and it became clear to everyone around me that I was flying alone with three young children, I overheard many many comments. I even got the 'You are brave' from the check-in counter woman.
I did bring my carseats on board for both Kate and Andrew. I was convinced Andrew wouldn't stay put unless he was tethered to his seat. I have a lot more confidence in Kate but once one child begins to act out, you can be sure the other will follow suit. The Graco/Century carseats fit beautiful ... even the meal trays could be lowered.
It helped we flew on a jet that had individual movie screens for each seat. Kate watched an 'Ice Age' movie while Andrew took over the portable DVD player and watched a Thomas video until the batteries gave out (about 2.5 hours). I kept them calm with a barrage of unhealthy food stuffs - namely Pringles and Goldfish. They wouldn't eat anything healthy so the junk did us well. Declan barely made a peep the entire trip; his life is so centric to his food source that he likely thought this was his best day ever. Kate's bladder held out for the whole five hours - we did made a run for the bathroom at the airport once I had found my parents.
At the end of the flight, the passengers in front and behind us all made comments on how good they were. I was so proud of my kiddos. Declan didn't cry, no one threw-up, Andrew barely kicked the poor person in front of him and Kate was my little princess.
Kudos to Air Canada - I have had a few run-ins with the airline on previous trips but this one was awesome. The cabin crew was so helpful. One crew member has a two month old daughter and another crew member has 18 month old twins - so they were sympathetic and very helpful. The pilot even offered to carry my carseats to meet my parents ... but the crew wouldn't let him because the plane had to turn around and head back to Toronto.
All said, though - thank goodness dh will be flying home with me.
2 comments:
Ann,
I'm so glad you had an easy flight! What a great group you have there!
Whew! I'm so pleased everything went well. I've only flown alone with my little bug between Calgary and Victoria...and that's just one child and a much shorter flight. You are my hero!!
Post a Comment