April 10, 2009

A long year coming

Andrew takes a small bus to kindergarten every day. Right after lunch, he heads out the door and gets on his bus. Of course, I know this happens but rarely see the trek. Andrew prefers to come home from play dates rather than miss his bus ride. He has his preferred seat and supposedly will grimace at his fellow passengers if one has taken his seat.

Amazingly, Deckles only found out about the small bus a few weeks ago. Jayne has the little ones organized that they are bed by the time the bus arrives just after noon. A few weeks ago, he saw Andrew leave on the bus and was very sad - both from seeing his big brother leave the house but also the excitement of the bus.

I guess, yesterday, Deckles got to on the bus while Andrew was getting into his seat and putting on his seat belt (only on small buses). He yelled out of the bus to our neighbour asking her to get his backpack as he was planning to go to school on the bus. He was rather devastated when he wasn't allow to go.

Deckles missed the kindie cut-off by 5 days. All along, I have been very happy about his age. He will be the eldest in his class. I think, in particular, for boys, the age difference will be an advantage and help him build confidence and make new friends. It also means he gets to stay home and play for a whole extra year. [Before he was even born, I was told the HUGE advantage of being a January baby if you are bound for the kidlet hockey leagues - not a factor on my horizon, but I guess you never know.]

However, it also means he won't be hitting the bus for over a year. I think with the way he reacts to new environments that he would be perfectly happy about going to kindie next week.

1 comment:

AmyRobynne said...

Wow, your cutoff is Dec 31st? Is that Canada-wide, or just in your area? The latest U.S. cutoff I'm aware of is Dec 1st on the west coast. Here, it's Sept 1st (my birthday--my parents decided to let me be the oldest). About half the summer birthdays in Peter's class will be six when kindy starts in the fall. He has one boy who turned 6 last month already! I was so glad to have March kids where they'll be smack in the middle and I don't have to decide.