April 5, 2009

Getting the lingo and famous Canadians

Kate's 'Friday Folder' came home with a booklet about money. She cut out each coin deonomination, pasted it to the booklet and wrote out the numerical quantity of the coin.

I have to say, as a daughter of two accountants, this kid has got her money down. I think she can distinguish between American and Canadian coins without issue, a very important skill for little Canadians.

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised but she is learning that a $1 coin is a 'loonie'. I am not quite sure what else it should be called as it is the correct assumed named. Interestingly, a $2 coin is called a toonie; I am not sure I have ever seen toonie spelled out so I too have learned something this week.

Kate mentioned this morning that she was learning about famous Canadians. Of course, the kid recognizes Barack Obama but would she recognize the Canadian Prime Minster. Still not sure on that one, but at least she knows his name. She also knows that Sir John A. MacDonald was the first Prime Minister of Canada. Terry Fox made the list as did Avril Lavigne. The class had one other famous Canadian singer as well but can't seem to remember all the details but we think begins with a V. The class also decided that one of the children's father was famous too - the father died in World Trade Centre attack (given these children were only born in 2002, a father he would never have met) - a wonderful addition to the list.

Not a bad morning of learning & reflecting.

1 comment:

Jen H. said...

Andrew knows who Barack Obama is and what his job is, but would never know Stephen Harper or what his job is! I guess I'd better get on that...