I stayed home from work today - to determine the state of affairs for the Deckles' teeth. I called several dentists, or maybe I called just a few several times. Most dentists in my area don't open until 10am, not very convenient for a panicked mother.
We ended up sticking with our family dentist, a very calm, practical woman. Jim, Deckles and I met with her at 10am. She took a quick look and agreed all four top teeth have been moved. She didn't seem any more or less concerned with the one tooth that has been pushed back and up on a very weird angle. She indicated that since Deckles is only three years old, his adult teeth are still so high that she isn't concerned with any infringement on the adult tooth nerves.
So, we add one more in this family on a 'watch & wait' protocol for treatment. She expects that the teeth will turn grey from the cut-off blood supply. She plans to let them sit exactly where they are unless they become infected/abscessed. We can do some gentle brushing but otherwise just leave them alone for the next few weeks. She suggested small bits of food and that Deckles could be in pain for at least a few weeks as he recovers from whatever blow he took the face. (I still can't figure out how he hurt himself by falling over backwards in his chair.)
IF one of the teeth abscesses, it will come out. I don't think all four have to come out if one develops an abscess. I have no clue on the timeline of abscess - i.e. when does the risk of abscessing pass - 2 weeks, or is indefinite with damage teeth. The process of extracting teeth seem truly horrible when she uttered 'someone will have to hold him down'. Yikes, please little teeth don't abscess. It wouldn't be done without medication/sedation but still not at all happy about that description.
Deckles certainly looked worse for the wear this morning. Interestingly, if that would be the appropriate word, the side of his face with the least damaged teeth is tremendously swollen, with slight streaks of visible bruising. The other side looks much more normal. Jim and I both think Deckles' swollen side of his face looks a lot like his cousin Isaac. It is an uncanny similarity.
I will have to take some pictures to show the progress of this injury. I would imagine that the swelling will decrease over the next couple of days but that the bruising will become more evident.
Poor little guy. He woke up crying last night because his typical self-soothing thumb can't be used because his front teeth hurt so much. As long as we keep his codeine dosing on a regular schedule, he is feeling just fine. He goes visibly pale, however, as it wears off.
We shall all recover.
2 comments:
More thoughts -- it took Leo's tooth about 9 months to really turn grey. At that point, it had a cavity (around the chip) but wasn't obviously horrible from a quick look. By the one year mark, it was absessed with multiple cavities in each of the surrounding teeth. My regret is not dealing with the one bad tooth immediately but I was getting conflicting info about who were good dentists and getting referrals and I kept putting it off.
Like you said, you will all eventually recover from this. Hope sleep stays good around your house
Post a Comment