April 25, 2009

Barber skills

I came home to an exceptionally well-trimmed Seanie a few days ago. Jim had taken him to the hairstyling place down the street - and both boys got a trim. Interestingly, given he was born with a full head of hair, I think it is one of the first times I have ever seen his forehead. He has a substantial fore head, hopefully housing a lot of brains, but in particular it emphasizes the length of his face and how much he looks like Jim

Probably my military days ingrained a preference for short hair. The contrast between Seanie's crop and the older pair's mops, supported by the incredible summery day today, prompted a trip to the barber this morning.

The world of barbers is so different than the world of hair stylists. Deckles and I stopped in a the local barber on the way to the library. The queue was short so we sat and waited. Jim had sent instructions that a #3 would be appropriate. The kind barber gave me an appreciation of a #3 - a bit too short, so we settled on a #3 on the sides and a #4 on top. Deckles did a great job sitting still and very much appreciated the lollipop at the end.

Andrew's turn was this afternoon. I took Kate along as well to see the adventure of it all. Andrew got a significant buzz job a few years ago. With his pale skin and light coloured hair, he was a bit washed out, head to toe. We went a bit longer with Andrew's cut - a #4 on the sides, a #5 on top and a tapered hair line. He looks awesome - a perfect summer cut.

A teenager walked in during Andrew's cut - became obvious to me that this will likely become routine in this household, and asked for a #4 on the sides and a trim on top. I guess it is the barber language.

I was joking with the barber this morning. We came to the conclusion that the boys should go to the barber, because, well, the gals across the street just can't quite compete the spin and handiwork of the barbers with their blades. This afternoon, the barber asked if Kate would join the queue - and told him, no way, from now on - the girls go with the gals,and the boys head to the barber.

I don't think we will be buying the clippers quite yet. I did cross my mind. While it would save a fair bit of money, I am not sure I could do their noggins justice. The clippers took very little time, but the barber also spent several minutes snipping away at great speed the various trailers - I assume to get a consistent look. I am sure I don't have the skill nor patience to get it looking quite so good.

2 comments:

AmyRobynne said...

We've got clippers and Leo had his first buzz in the fall, but I really like his hair longer. I just requested "Haircutting for Dummies" from the library in hopes of learning how to pull off something longer than 1/2". Dan uses the longest setting on the clippers for Peter (1/2"?) and trims closer on the edges.

cg said...

Ok so now we need photos to appreciate the new look at your house ;-)