April 26, 2009

Four missing front teeth?

Hopefully, a bit of an over-reaction.

Deckles told my father who was here for dinner that he got his hair cut - a big event this weekend. He failed to add that he likely also effectively knocked out his four front teeth.

A really innocent, very common mishap occurred today at lunch while all children were closely supervised, I will add. Declan pushed his chair over backwards. I didn't see his head hit the ground, and assumed the best. He started to cry, and the blood started to simply pour from his mouth. A quick review showed a very badly bitten upper lip - four teeth marks, and a gash in behind. I assumed it was the source of the blood. When the flow wouldn't stop emanating from his mouth, I assumed a bit tongue. Panicked a bit, when clumps of red material fell out of his mouth, but was comforted to figure it was the bread. Panicked a lot when I saw his four upper teeth ain't where they were in the photo from yesterday.

A trip to the ER indicated an initial review of one impacted front tooth. It is now half the size of its original size as it has been driven up into the gum line. The ER doc didn't mention the other three teeth. I think they have been punched backwards but for all the swelling, it is possible they are OK. We have been instructed to head to the dentist tomorrow to pull the one tooth. I fear the dentist will take one look or Xray, and suggest all four have been damaged and could threaten their adult brothers.



The poor little guy - he looks horrible, his lip is still oozing blood and is very fat, his upper lip and face is swollen. He was getting very upset towards the end of our four hour long ER visit. I had finally gotten a small examination room towards the end and we laid down together and I got him to fall asleep. He was very unhappy when the doctor woke him up. A mouthful of Motrin with a codeine chaser seem to help - and Declan enjoy his snack, dinner and ice cream so the damage teeth don't seem to be slowing him down.

Tomorrow is another day. I hate injuries to teeth, fingers and toes - most other stuff I can handle. I knew I would get my share of accidents, and have counted myself lucky with our previous good fortunes. I just wish it didn't have to change, and change like this.

At least the visit from Poppie was appreciated. (And, for any family that may read this - yes, my father was asleep!)

No comments: