November 30, 2008

Closing down November


I made it - I actually posted an entry, without any drafts, and no delays, every day in the month of November.

We went to the golf course for dinner tonight. Last night of November, and a last chance to use the November minimum. Getting out of the house always seems to bring out the worse. The whining is a bit much. Actually, we are lucky to have made it out the door. Andrew banged his eye on the corner of a table. He has a bit of indent on his eye but thankfully it didn't become a gusher. Everyone somehow managed to grab a train, get dressed in button downs and found shoes. We were only about 10 minutes late for our reservation.

Dinner was great. It is true, as the kiddos get older, going out for dinner is much more fun and relaxing for all. We aren't quite there yet, but this dinner was one huge step towards a great dinner. We remain a spectacle, however, and everyone who walked by did double-take the large gang. Really, people four kiddos isn't that much.

Another family, with grandparents and two older children sat next to us. At one point, I thought the grandfather was complaining to the wait-staff for placing his family beside the family with the whole gang of little ones. However, it wasn't the case. They had two wonderful boys in tow - Hunter (10 yrs) and Morgan (12 yrs) who became bored with their lot, and just joined in with ours. When I took the little ones for a stroll down the hallway, the boys followed along, playing with Seanie, Deckie and Andrew. It was so so so nice to see these 'older' boys interacting so well with the little ones. The young ones thought these big boys were pretty darn cool. I did tell the parents and the grandparents what wonderful, kind boys they have - I was in awe. The 12 year old even lifted Seanie out of his highchair to play with him.

They even volunteered to take the picture - the best one we have had of our family this year. Perhaps, a bit off centre, but a picture nevertheless. I just think that if we have a picture with six people, somewhat focused on the camera, we have succeeded - this was beyond my expectations.

Kate was upset that Hunter and Morgan were both boys. I was surprised with the interest the boys took in boring babies. It did disintegrate fast at the end to a full-on tackle in the clubhouse lobby - but I didn't care as the five boys were in hysterics. Andrew was oblivious and asked them over for a playdate. Now, if we only knew who they were.

4 comments:

AmyRobynne said...

Nice job on the daily posts!

I think pre-teens are the best people for playing with toddlers. Whenever my kids are around 10-11 year olds, everyone's in great moods. I'd definitely consider getting a mother's helper that age if/when we have a new baby. I can totally see myself having a baby when Peter and Leo are that age, too.

I'm going to be nannying a 16 month old starting Thursday and it's fun to see Peter with her -- it's so different (duh) from how he was with Leo at that age.

Jen said...

Love the pic! Scary stuff on the MRI. My fingers and toes crossed for you. Keep me posted. Jen x

Jana said...

What a great picture!! I concur, the neighbor boys across the street are 9 and 12 and the 12 year old especially is so sweet with my boys. He helps Ryan kick the soccer ball and always makes sure he gets a turn with whatever we are doing in the yard. Ryan is so quiet around other people and the other day the boy asked him a question and Ryan answered him and he about fell over and looked at me and said "He can talk?!" LOL!

mi said...

What a fantastic pic!There is so much impish happiness emanating from all of you. :) Yesterday I got to see first hand how great a teenager can be with my boys. It was really nice.