November 24, 2008

Balance returned

This household is relatively healthy again (save for my bout with pink eye currently underway - but that is sooooo minor, and work doesn't kick me out for 24 hours!)

You do know the household has found its equilibrium again with some of the following comments, some I witnessed, some only told in second person.

  • Declan was leading the charge up the stairs with Sean quick on his heals. Seanie starts crying so I went to investigate. 'I didn't kick him!' says Declan. Yeah right buddy.

  • I mentioned to Jim that we need to discuss the common front parental response to the intense level of whining in this house. I was relieved to hear even our ever-so-patient nanny seems a bit challenged by the elevated pitch of demanding voices such that she may just need to become the 'train bitch.' (Trains seems to cause an unusual amount of distress in this household.)

  • I kept my cool when Declan continue to run away from me at bedtime while I was trying to change him. I claimed his favourite freight cars as my own until I woke up tomorrow. I didn't give them back despite the screams, the complaints that I am mean and the words (and body trembles) of toddler (or is it preschool?) anger. It has occurred to me that I will be woken up very very early tomorrow morning when Declan thinks he needs his trains returned.

    It is going to be a long long winter.
  • 1 comment:

    cg said...

    I cannot even begin to imagine what it must be like to try and entertain your little ones inside for the whole winter. DO you have special coping strategies? One weekend day of rain around here and we are ready to go crazy ;-p