After six years of daily drop-offs, I told daycare today we would be leaving at the end of the month. I, of course, had to reach for the kleenex box on the manager's desk. As I hiccuped through my speech, the only humour I could voice in this situation was it wasn't fair to have to resign while PMSing - but that at least I wasn't pregnant. This manager has seen it all over the past six years, having first met me one week after Kate's rather aggressive delivery when I couldn't even walk upright. She just laughed.
I have put a lot of thought into this decision. Deckles is the only member currently going to our beloved daycare, currently three days a week. One of the main reasons was the difficult of managing four kiddos at home with the pick-up & drop-off of the older pair at school in the depths of snowpant season. However, with work as busy as it is and with Jayne tending most of the brood, it doesn't make much sense to drag Deckles out of the house at an early morning when he is much much happier to stay home with the other kiddos. I even pick him up and he voices quite keenly that he doesn't like school and that he misses his siblings and of course Jayney.
I have been a huge supporter of daycare. I love the routine, the socialization, the good meals they provide, the outdoor playtime, the awesome teachers, the great location - I like it for a lot of reasons, and I like it a lot. Amazingly, I have come to realize that stay-at-home kiddos don't lead a hermit life, if they have an outgoing, get and up go caregiver. My kiddos are forever on the go - off to this person's house for a playdate, or hosting another playdate, a trip to Walmart or the fave, a trip to the MacDonald's playland. It is likely 2 or 3 times a week that they are doing some outside of the house, that is fun. Amazingly, also, friends of Jayne's and the kiddos don't seem to mind inviting over four children including my ever curious Seanie who discovers the liquor cabinet in other people's homes.
Deckles will have a blast being at home. I have made the commitment to either hire a babysitter or change up Jim/my routine for Friday afternoons so the younger pair don't have to go to the skating rink for lessons - cement benches and climbing commandos on a Friday afternoon doesn't bode well for relaxed weekends with bumped heads. I will also seek out a new preschool program for Deckles in the neighbourhood for next September. He would, if 5 days older, be in JK next year - so I do think he will be ready for a bit of organized preschool a couple of mornings each week. Jayne might also appreciate the small break.
2 comments:
"Amazingly, I have come to realize that stay-at-home kiddos don't lead a hermit life, if they have an outgoing, get and up go caregiver."
Hee hee, I love you Ann :) Have I mentioned that chicken pox scared me not because of the spots, but the 3 weeks of required hermitting in January? It is so much harder to stay in the house all the time than to go out places.
I'm sure your mornings are much more peaceful now!
Post a Comment