October 23, 2008

Most important

My mom had her surgery on Tuesday - a bilateral mastectomy. I spoke to her on Tuesday evening - the surgery was a lot longer than I had assumed, close to four hours. When I spoke to her on Tuesday, she seemed very very tired.

Some blood pooling (& clotting) ended her back in the OR today. I am not sure what needed to be done. I guess additional drains were added.

So while the return to surgery was disappointing and a set-back, she is now back in her room and expects to be discharged tomorrow. I want her out of the hospital because I think those places are travelling germ fests. My mom's immunity isn't her strong point, so being at home has a lot of advantages.

The great news, I think, is the initial pathology on the lymph nodes saw no involvement of the lymph so the actual surgery was less invasive than if lymph had needed be removed, and I believe the treatment going forward will likely not include chemotherapy.

Thoughts & prayers always appreciated.

3 comments:

Arwen said...

Thinking of you and your mother.

-ChristinaG Born in Jan 2006 board

mi said...

I'm glad she has gotten through all the surgery, and especially glad to learn the lymph nodes are unaffected. I wish her a speedy recovery.

Jen H. said...

Hope she's well on her way to recovery by now...