October 6, 2008

End of the season

We turned the heat on this past weekend (despite Jim's comments we wouldn't be seeing heat in this house for a few more weeks). We bought more winter clothes for the babes' on the weekend. I found all the hand-me-downs in the storage bins too.

I still wasn't ready for the walk home from the subway tonight. It was cold. Alright, I should wear a coat as mentioned by the guy walking the two dogs I passed this morning while going to the subway station. I don't like coats and don't seem to own a coat either. I don't like winter and am somewhat deceived that if I don't wear a coat then it mustn't be well past summer, and thus closing in on winter.

It will soon be very dark when I make that trip. The green leaves will soon fall to the ground and leave the trees bare. I will soon be slushing through snow, and clammering over snowbanks.

Summer is gone. I am a bit sad.

4 comments:

AmyRobynne said...

I'm right there with you -- if I don't dress for the changing seasons, they won't happen, right? I've been pleasantly surprised this week that a sweater and light jacket have been overkill. It helps that I rarely leave the house before 9am when the worst of the chill has gone. We haven't had a killing frost yet (and I harvested my first fall peas today) and haven't needed to rake, so I can still pretend it's summer on sunny afternoons picking tomatoes.

cg said...

Ugh girls - i am getting cold just listening to all talking snow and I am sitting in a sports top in 25C weather...I would so not survive with your long winters. Maybe you must all come visit sunny SA for a midwinter break ;-)

Jana said...

I too cannot imagine. And Ann, you really don't have a coat? Or maybe you don't have a coat but you have a parka. :) We are still topping out in the high 80's around here but that is a welcome change for us. Fall is here and from what I've heard, it's going to be a cold winter, at least around these parts.

Jen H. said...

Hating it here too! I also skip the coat, but for now it's because I know it'll be much warmer by lunchtime if I'm out all day.

I'm not looking forward to having to spend money buying new snow tires for the new car. My old snow tires won't fit the new, slightly bigger car. Boo.