October 23, 2008

My 'Me' Day

Yesterday, I had one of the best Me days in many many months, perhaps even the past few years. Oddly, it was spent in a doctor's office, five gloriously peaceful hours in a doctor's office. How weird is that?

My company offers a medical review for the 'older' people of the office at a private medical clinic. I had just set-up an appointment with my own doctor - two and half month wait - to do the annual review, and obtain a few prescriptions. This appointment was scheduled in a matter of a few days, was close to the office, and served breakfast, from a great caterer, available right after the first necessary tests. The four hour appointment, all on company time. Who could lose?

The day was wonderful - the office was great, the food tasty, the coffee hot. The staff willing, keen and encouraged to talk a lot. There was sufficient downtime that I read probably almost 80 pages of my current book, Easter Island (by Jennifer Vanderbes).

The doctor was wonderful - a big supporter of the pertussis vacination. I think she was agast when I said seanie was sorely behind in his shots - I think he has his four months shots (received at 6 odd months of age). Nevertheless, she said Jim was a bright dude for his repetoire of 2,000iu of Vitamin D. The kiddos are just fine with their chewables.

I spoke to a nutritionist - trans fats are bad, hamburger helper not a great choice, light tuna is OK and cheaper than white tuna (lower mercury) and suggested I add more fruit (who knew?) and more fibre to my day. My bad cholesterol might be a tad high, but my good cholesterol is quite high - so it offsets any negative of the bad.

I did a exercise ECG - darn near fell of the treadmill. It quickly became obvious that I am in poor physical condition. My heart is just fine.

I did a fitness review - I am above average, but only because I am not carrying excess weight - 22% body fat, low bmi, 136lbs. My ability to do push ups, sit-ups or reach my toes was well well below average. I knew I was in poor shape, but didn't realize I was so far off the average of my peers.

I have a ventilatory defect - no one seems concerned, but I couldn't for the life of me pass the 'blow test'.

Interesting, and the only thing that raised concern was that I have somewhat poor hearing in my left ear. Right when I graduated from university, I experience almost total hearing loss in both ears. It was like my ears had bad radio reception - a lot of static. The doctors did a bunch of tests, with no clues, but I woke up about a week later and all was well. Now that I think about it, I think my left ear feels like it is a bit blocked - something isn't quite right. I will watch it - I have three months to go back on this original appointment so will call for a re-evaluation. Of course, they will set-up a referal for me. Very very odd this ear.

I get my ultrasound and chest x-ray results with the final package.

Nevertheless, a wonderful day spent reading my book and doing some very funky (yet probably completely useless) tests.

1 comment:

mi said...

Isn't it odd where you find relaxation when you are a mom? I'm glad you got good reports. Is this an annual benefit? Take advantage where you can!