March 6, 2008

Pick your battles

On the great news front, Kathleen passed her Ultra 2 swim class today. I will admit I am shocked she passed. One of the main requirements of the level is to continuously swim 5 meters. I am not sure my dear girl can swim 5 meters. So much so, that I actually re-enrolled her on registration day this past weekend in a repeat Ultra 2 swim level. (Swim class spots are hotly contested in the Toronto swim scene so you can't just wait. I of course could have found out last week - had I gone to swim class - whether her teacher planned to pass her!). Nevertheless, after the glowing report, I raced home an wait-listed her for every available Ultra 3 class available. If it doesn't work - a repeat of Ultra 2 won't hurt her at all.

For the past several months, I have had a few arguments with Kathleen each morning as we prepare for school - 'get dressed, brush your teeth, eat your breakfast, where is your book bag, where are your socks, really, brush the back of your head, you have bed-head' type arguments. It drives me mad that I yell, whether or not for good reason - I hate yelling, and I hate the feeling of being late. Most of it was my fault - it is not like I can expect a 5 year old to know the time (she doesn't read time) so being late and rushed was all my doing.

So, I changed my ways. My new rules involve both of us being dressed and at the breakie table by 8am. I set the timer for 8:20am to delineate the put your winter clothing on time. We try to leave the house by 8:35am for the 10 minute stroll to the school door. I wil admit it is amazing how much more peaceful and fun our pre-school routine has become.

The clothing front hasn't yet improved. She did pick out her outfit this evening - one I utterly hate (and she knows that) - purple yoga pants with a white waist band, and a cream top with mismatched flowers. I hate the top - but I have yet to find something better to go with the pants. Nevertheless, without fail, she selects that outfit sometimes twice a week - and has to come and ask permission to wear it. I did find a bit of relief as I was discussing this issue with a playground nanny - her charges, twin girls one year Kathleen's senior seem to enjoy wearing summer skirts, footless tights and mismatched tights in the midst of a winter storm warning. Yikes! The nanny just made sure the teacher knew the outfit was the child's creation and not suggested by herself.

Pick your battles - hair & teeth brushed, yes - mismatched top, not so much.

1 comment:

mi said...

Being that dh gets the kids out the door in the morning, I used to feel the need to mention the the school staff upon afternoon pickup that Daddy picked their clothes. He doesn't put a lot of stock in looking at size labels, and a 2 yr old looks really silly in a 6-9 month shirt, no matter how much sizing can vary. The Director at our last school says they don't even worry about it, figure the kids dressed themselves (or their Daddies!) Her daughter would want to wear 9 different colors all at once and she'd just say "ok, Rainbow get in the car."