March 14, 2008

Mittens, transfats and mattresses

I thought I had it covered this winter. I purchased several pairs of the same mittens for the three elder children in early winter. Since losing a mitten or a cat eating a mitten are pretty much a given, buying several of the same pair should increase the longevity of the non-lost, soul mitten.

I just don't understand how Kathleen's three pairs of mittens has been whittled down to three right handed mittens, but only 1 left hand. Where are her lefty mittens?

In other news, I was ecstatic to learn that my local greasy spoon, pancake place extraordinaire uses pancake mix without transfats. Transfats are right up there with short-dated expiry on dairy products - how to frustrate this girl! The poor waitress did question whether I expected her to go to the kitchen to ask the cooks - I didn't but thought she might too be interested. She was, so she asked!

Organic PC cake mixes - no transfats but don't taste too good, Duncan Hines - great tasting, transfats
Premium Plus Crackers - no transfats, no name PC brand of the same cracker - transfats
Popcorn - read your labels carefully, buy the Orville Redenbaker Heart Smart - no transfats, the other varieties, especially the buttery ones - transfats
Pancake mixes - Aunt Gemina is exempt, as are the PC brands - but the no name brands have transfats (and no I don't buy the ones with milk already in the mix, I think those would naturally have 'dairy' transfats)

Shopping for a new mattress ... don't buy pillow top. This is actually good news as I have been wondering about our lemon of a mattress that slopes severely to the centre of the bed. It is just over 6 years young so should have many more years of good sleep left but for the pillow top. The poor Sears sales person yesterday must have thought I was a little off my rocker as Kathleen and I tried out new mattresses. I told him my little story - very expensive mattress, great brand, not that old - but the canyon ensures a sore back and a crowded bed (OK - doesn't help we always have at least one kiddo in the queen bed). He then mentioned the pillow top thing. We will be buying a new mattress when we move back to the old abode. Who knew!

No comments: