March 11, 2008

Being a mom

This post is being written for Trish, Nate and Gwyneth. I found Nate's blog about two months ago. He is the husband of a lovely young thing, Trish, and an even younger little babe Gwyneth. Trish is battling cystic fibrosis and was preparing for a double lung transplant prior to finding out they were preggers. Gwyneth was born just short of 25 weeks in early January. They are an extraordinary family - it has been fun reading their blog as both Trish and Gwyneth get stronger, readying themselves for their next big steps. Gwyneth is now just shy of 2lbs. as of a few days ago (Nate ... we need an update) and Trish is stepping every day closer to that lung transplant. I have grasped that Nate would love to bring his family home in April - that isn't that far away now!!!

So, one blogging momma challenged all of us other blogging mommas to post to our blogs all the wonderful, frustrating moments of being a mom. Here goes - and this is what happens in a short wintery weekend in a family with four little ones!

  • listening to your five year old discover new words as she reads her intro-readers, hearing her amazement as she conquers another word.
  • laughing at sibling comments like - "I now know what Deckles look like when he is running (away from us at IKEA) - a cat hairball." You mightn't always understand the rationale to their ideas but have to laugh at the creativity.
  • reading one of my childhood favourite novels - Misty of Chincoteague - to my oldest children. When I finish the last page of our designated chapter, to listen to my children breathing slowly (but maybe not so quietly), relaxed, happy, content kiddos.
  • laughing in utter disbelief as you redirect Seanie, again, away from the cat kibble bowl.
  • listening to Deckles thank me, with absolute sincerity, for changing his poppy diaper. The 'goodbye sweetie' comments as he leaves for school also have me laughing.
  • watching Andrew's intensity as he plays with my latest Thomas train set build. For the record, I am the BEST train builder he has ever met.
  • misjudging a not-so-stinky baby diaper as a courtesy change (we don't typically refer to diaps as poopy - but non-diaps as 'courtesy changes' - we don't view them as that), and having a cute little foot ankle deep in disgusting output.
  • watching Deckles eat cucumbers and dip - why does it have to be a total body affair.
  • hugging their little bodies goodnight and good morning each and every day.
  • getting your kiddos all reved up to go do something fun - like bathroom fixture shopping - it takes creativity. Also, coming up with new bribes to tame their disappointment when yet another boring outing is planned.

    I can't imagine anything better than parenting. It is frustrating at times, but I am so blessed to have my life. I read Nate's blog each day - I can only hope that one day their life will be as boring and normal, and healthy as mine.

    Happy reading.
  • No comments: