February 6, 2007

Shopping with a child!

In the summer, during my mat leave, I would take all three children to the grocery store to do the twice or thrice-weekly grocery shop - who can remember to buy it all in one trip with three little kiddos. I was stopped more than once (each trip) and asked whether all of these youngins were mine - and always smiled politely, responded a resounding yes and said we had fun. Maybe it was fun during the summer, but during the winter, shopping with all the kiddos would be horrible. The snowsuits and boots slow you down on all aspects of the trip - start, middle and end! So, I have resorted to only shopping with one kiddo. It is easy, fun, the child is great company and provides a wonderful one-on-one time.

I took Kathleen to Costco - she picked out a new book as well as a chocolate boule for breakie Sunday morning. I picked out diapers, wipes, dishwasher soap, laundry detergent and other really fun stuff (OK - artichoke dip and low fat chips - yum). We also made our way to Sears to replace Kathleen's broken zippered snowsuit. Found a great deal in a 5T snowsuit, even matches her purple boots - it cost a measly $40 for a nice coat, zip-out liner, and two (????) pairs of snowpants. The downfall - it is for 5-year olds - and while we are just a few months short of 5, the snowsuit is a bit big. Oops - my evaluation of the sizing was a bit long-sighted yesterday. I think we will be OK - regardless, Kathleen loves it and we will be ready for next winter.

I took Andrew to the grocery store on Sunday. He loves going to the grocery store. I was stopped by an older gentleman who mentioned that he could hear the chatter clear across the store (in a positive way). Andrew talks a fair bit but is usually subdued by the elder sister's chattering. At the grocery store, alone, Andrew takes on a whole new persona. The kid yammers endlessly. We discussed the so unripe bananas that they were an interesting hue of purple, his preference for chicken strips rather than nuggets and a long discussion on pepperoni. He amazes me at his range of vocabulary and how well he can speak (when not interrupted!) It was a fun trip - other than the bitterly cold weather.

I do wonder if I will get my grove back when I am once again home, unsupervised, with four kiddos!

1 comment:

mi said...

I usually take only one boy grocery shopping. I like the one on one time, as do they. Each one enjoys the market in his own way, and both get rewarded with balloon at the end. Hayden always asks for one for his brother. If necessary, I will take both kids, but Hayden goes in the basket and Logan goes in the seat. It's quite a challenge and I usually do a smaller order, otherwise Hayden gets squished out!