Yikes, this pregnancy is just flying by. I cannot believe I am already 21 weeks. I did order maternity clothes this week on-line (Liz Lange sale!) hoping they fit because my other clothes are getting a bit tight. I think the new clothes will be the reality check that we are very very short on time. I have so much to accomplish in the next 19 weeks that I am utterly unsure how it will get done.
Don't think I have mentioned on the good ole blog that we are planning on renovating this wonderful but outdated and too small 70+ year old house. It is my preference to move out of the house before the baby is born and begin the renovation in May/June. Most people already think we are utterly nuts to be having four kiddos (in five years) little alone contemplate a complete reno (I should probably say gut - but since the old bird of a house is actually really quite nice, that seems a bit harsh!).
Ok, so here is the 'To Do' list:
receive next draft of drawings, this week, hopefully a bit closer to the end result finalize drawings with architect get new land survey done apply to city for 'Committee of Adjustment' meeting sell the idea of our reno to our neigbhours since we need by-law variances - we live in an anti-monster home neighbourhood and we are jumping through hoops to get a 2500 sq. foot house (+ basement and detached garage) pray our neighbours don't fight us wait 4 to 6 weeks for meeting as long as we don't get shot down at the Committee, pray no one appeals during the 20 day grace period get the heat-loss ratio done - what is that???? ... costs a lot! get the consult from the structural engineer get through our 20 day grace period post-committee without any neigbhourly interference apply for the building permit (3-4 week turnaround) find a place to live move into the rental while not more than 36 weeks pregnant! unpack & settle in for the summer have baby at new rental perhaps (saves a trip to the hospital, I don't have time for that type of thinglive through a reno Plausible you think ... and that is just through mid-June. I go to bed at night debating wood floors - finished hardwood or unfinished, slate at the front door, mudroom floor, HVAC - keep the rads and spend a friggin bundle on A/C or put the vents in, kitchen design, new windows, new bathroom fixtures - yikes, and a new front door. That isn't all of it but it does seem enough to keep me occupied. Oh yeah, I do work 40+ hours a week, trying to impress work so I might actually have a job to go back to when this new child is 12 months old or so, take care (and have fun) with the three existing wards and somehow keep my wonderful marriage on track.
So, if you know how to slow down time, I wouldn't mind a helping hand.
5 comments:
Oi Ann you certainly do have a full plate! I did not realise the extend of the renovations you were planning! That must be so stressful. What will you do if the neighbours dont want to go with the idea?? Sorry i dont want to be the party pooper but had to ask
I doubt you'll have a problem with the neighbours. I think you pointed out to me while I was there that many of the surrounding houses have similar additions to what you're planning.
Although your reno/addition is well beyond the scope of anything I've ever done, feel free to ask me anything. And, IMO, it's worth it to spend the extra money on stuff like keeping the rads and the A/C, as long as you'll be in that house for a long time. You'll make your money back for sure in that neighbourhood! And, you don't want to mess up a house that nice with funny ducts and things for vents. Good luck!!!
Yikes.
You my dear are a crazy lady. I might be moving mid pregnancy but it is into a completed house lol! I am just kidding .. I bet you house is going to be killer once done ... I will cross everything that no one fights you.
I am at a complete and utter loss for words. You're making me wonder what the heck I do with all my time. Sheesh. But good luck and keep us all posted on your progress! I love reno photos...some good before and after shots please.
Post a Comment