I remember wondering just after Declan was born whether we were done with kiddos or whether a fourth was in the cards. Four kiddos always seemed to be the right number for us but then again, how would you actually know? I am definitely very comfortable with our decision that this is the last baby. I am not getting any younger - will be 35 1/2yrs when this kiddo is born - not old, but certainly not with a huge margin for more kiddos. DH is a few years older. Our renovation will only take us to four bedrooms - and that is pushing it for this area of the city (we have to get city planning, and our neighbours' approval to put on a relatively small addition). And, then, as I jokingly add to friends and acquaintances, do you know what kind of vehicle you need for 5 carseats???? So, this will be it. Kathleen can be our princess and the boys, well, they can just eat us a grocery bill I can't even imagine at this point! It will be wonderful.
So, that brings me to the pre-admission papers for the hospital this week. On the forms was a slot for tubal ligation. While I am hoping for a natural birth and seriously contemplating a homebirth, if by-chance a c-section happens to be in the cards - planned or unplanned - would a tubal ligation be a good idea for us? While other alternatives are available, if I am already greatly exposed for the world to see, wouldn't it be to everyone's advantage to take care of the situation in one neat process? I would have thought so.
Alas, my midwives' hospital is a Catholic facility where permanent fertility measures aren't easy to get accomplished. I have to admit I was shocked in this time that permanent fertility measures had to go to an Ethical Committee in a provincially-funded medical facility. I would have assumed that religion had no place in government funded health care. I don't mind that perhaps we should meet with someone, briefly, to outline our story why a permanent measure, in the unlikely event of a c-section, is to our advantage but to have your case presented before an ethical committee, and either approved or denied. I am a bit baffled.
Nevertheless, the midwife did indicate to raise it at my next appointment if it was something we wanted to pursue and they would enquire with one of the hospital's OBs to see if it was a plausible (yet unlikely) exercise for our family.
2 comments:
I am always glad to see it when the permanent and irreversible decision to be sterilized is taken seriously. There have been horrible abuses of this in the past. Also, I don't think that many women realize just what it can do to your self image to get sterilized. I have listened to many women who really don't want another child but also who really regret having permanently destroyed their fertility. And there is also the post-tubal syndrome which includes dysfunctional uterine bleeding, decreased libido, increased menstrual cramps. While there has never been a direct cause-effect shown between tubal ligation and subsequent gyn problems, just about any competent gynecologist will admit to seeing in increase after tubal ligation. Given that there are so many reversable methods for preventing conception, I don't understand why tubal ligation is as common as it is.
This is obviously something that you've been giving a lot of thought. I honestly don't know much about this operation. I was surprised and a little worried to read about some of the possible side effects that Alicia mentioned. Are you considering other options? Something less permanent perhaps? Didn't your hubby say something about taking over the fertility responsibilities in your household after the latest pregnancy?
Post a Comment