February 15, 2007

Midwife appointment - week 22+

Amazing stuff this pregnancy - I am so desperate for everything to simply slow down (well other than the end of winter) that I can't believe how fast time is passing. Had my midwife appointment today with my 'other' primary midwife. The midwifery practice revamped their routines since last winter. Instead of having a primary and back-up midwife, each patient now has a two primary and two back-up midwives. You rotate through the group of four with most visits with your pair of primary midwives. One of those midwives will come to the birth, early on in labour while one of the back-up midwives will come closer to the birth of the baby. This routine provides the midwives with a much more balanced lifestyle as they are only on call every other week 24/7 instead of 10 months of the year 24/7. They, too, have families. It also ensure that none of your appointments are cancelled because of a birth. Regardless, I am very confident with both of my primary midwives. Their vacation month is next month so I will meet my first back-up midwife in four weeks. Make sense?

Nevertheless, I have now put on 12 lbs. from my pre-preggo weight and have breached the pre-preggo weight for both Declan and Andrew. I still have 3 lbs. to go before I reach my Kathleen weight. The baby's heart rate was good and he even kicked at the Doppler quite aggressively. My blood pressure was 98 over 60 - still low.

We discussed home birth again - on one hand, I gather confidence with each week but then little things shake me. This midwife's office has numerous pictures of babies plastered to the wall. I also read a Christmas letter sent by one of the patients . I didn't get the whole story but one woman delivered a full-term infant with the chord wrapped three times around the babe's neck. After 17 days in the NICU, the little doll passed away. It was a home birth. I did ask whether a hospital birth would have helped the survival rate of the baby, the midwife responded that nothing could have helped that child given the circumstances.

I guess that is my biggest issue with home birth - the what if scenario. I have discussed the efficiency of the 911 calls, the transports for either mom or babe, the likelihood of something go catastrophically wrong - and all comes out square that with proper monitoring (pre-natal and during labour) and their experience, that home birth is a perfectly safe alternative for low-risk mothers. Nevertheless, if something went wrong, regardless that the outcome would likely be the same in the hospital, would I be able to accept my decision. [For me, wrong is pretty darn wrong like a permanent disability or death - not a simple transport or a few days hospitalization (not desirable but certainly not terrible) as that could happen to anyone, home birth or hospital birth.]

The practice is hosting a 'Home birth' seminar at the end of the month. I think I will attend - maybe that can sort me out a bit more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad your pregnancy is going well. I love all your little updates on the baby. Are the other three kidlets getting excited or is it all still too far away for them? As for the home birth decision, I think Amy's suggestion is a really good one. And you've still got a bit of time to decide.

wahine808 said...

The what ifs always got me too. I love the *idea* of a home birth, but if we lost a precious baby because there was an accident on the way to the hospital and the ambu didn't get there quick enough or something I truly would never forgive myself. I think I had the best of both worlds - labored at home as long as I could and was in the hospital for less than 90 mins before I gave birth med free. I think you know my story! I guess statistically they say home birthing is just as safe as a hospital birth, but what if you end up on the wrong side of the statistics? I know, another what if, I suppose in the end you need to trust your heart that you're making the best choice with the knowledge you have available.