August 2, 2006

Showing some initiative

Well, it has been just a tad hot here of recent. I know we are not unique to this little heat wave as it appears the entire Northeast is in the midst of a bit of a hot spell. Today was much cooler than yesterday - it was only 34C with a humidity index of 46C. (Translated to imperial, I think that is about 92F and a heat index of 115F - not sure that is quite right - regardless, very very hot.)

Have I mentioned our old house doesn't have central air and most of our windows are painted shut? Last summer was unbearable so my husband and I took many measurements of the three available windows that actually open wide enough to host an unit and bought two 8,000 BTU air conditioners very early in the season. One is upstairs on the landing and one is in the old other window at the top of the stairs near the kitchen.

Nevertheless the air conditioners, come dinner time, I refuse to turn on the stove as our poor little house is just about bearable at its current temperature of 29C (or about 84F). However, I do feel that the lunch time staple of P&J sandwiches cannot be offered at dinner. I decided to cook the chicken strips on the BBQ. It worked - will check them a bit more often next time as they were a bit more browned than the preschoolers will appreciate.

Our steaks (kiddos won't eat red meat) will cook soon after, along with the baked potatoes - even the asparagus will be seared on the grill.

Thunderstorms arrive tonight so tomorrow should be much much better.

No comments: