August 22, 2006

Working girl got her clothes

I found Working Girl's clothes last week packaged away in some odd container that only a 3 year old would fine suitable for Barbie clothes.

Last August we traveled to a wedding for my best friend in upper New York State. Husband and I packed up the minivan and the two kiddos and headed towards the wedding locale. We, of course, brought along a contingent of appropriate toys for our then 3 year old daughter and 18 month old son. What do 3 year old girls like? Barbies!

If I am not mistaken we took California Girl (who smells like coconut suntan lotion, yum) and Rapunzel barbie (a barbie with wonderfully long locks of hair). Somehow during the wedding reception, we misplaced Rapunzel barbie. Three year old little girls have great memories and aren't known to easily get over the loss of a beloved barbie (with long hair). To ensure a calm trip home, we stopped by a local toy store and replaced the splendid Rapunzel with the Office Barbie - a sleek gal with a summer office outfit. Not anywhere as cool but a Barbie nevertheless. We nicknamed her 'Working Girl'.

Working Girl quickly became the joke of our household as she somehow lost her clothes (not that hard with a 3 year old). Instead of skimpy office wear, she was simply a nude barbie. I know Kate didn't get the joke but it still makes the adults of this house laugh. Thankfully, she is now well-dressed again. I won't soon forget her year long pursuit for decency.

The bride's mom did phone me the week following the weeding to alert me that Rapunzel had been found and was in her possession. She did offer to mail it to me but the cost to package and mail just isn't worth it, especially since Grandma Barb has a cutie 5 year old granddaughter whom I know would appreciate such a nice little treat. Rapunzel is now in the capable hands of Charlie - I do hope she enjoys her Barbie's lovely locks because, no matter how hard we try, Kate has yet to forget her beloved Rapunzel.

No comments: