August 9, 2006

Pumpkin patch update - v2.0

Alright - the pumpkin patch is growing. It now extends a good chunk of the way down the driveway, from the first plant to the last leaf, we probably have atleast 18 feet worth of pumpkin plants.

The vines are also blooming like a wild thing; we must have at least 8-10 flowers on the plants each day but not one pumpkin. Did some internetting last week - and wouldn't you know, you need both male and female flowers on your pumpkin plant to get pumpkins. Seems simple, I guess - but who knew. I am certainly not a fertility expert for pumpkins. See below for the difference between the gals and the guys. I have been looking at my flowers and still can't tell the difference.

I assume you know the difference between a male and female pumpkin. If not, the female has the fruit under the flower and the male is long slender stem with a flower on top.


The internet article carries on to describe the method of pollinating the blossoms. I am an accountant by background so this description is bringing back memories of Grade 12 biology - yikes. Since I can't seem to distinguish between the boys and the girls, not sure how I am going to figure out the pollination approach, little alone the need to buy a camel-hair paintbrush.

Send lucky vibes to my pumpkins, otherwise, I will just have a lot of very prickly ground cover.

No comments: