The last two paragraphs really got me:
'If society is going to promote breastfeeding, women ought to start talking about it far more. Instead of breezing into breastfeeding, women should receive unbiased information during pregnancy and be encouraged to debate whether, for example, formula isn't on a par with breastmilk.
Perhaps breastfeeding has been the worst-best solution for women for centuries, but now it is time to move on.'
***********
I am sorry Ms. Eyre's breastfeeding experience was such a negative one that she felt the need to write an essay so full of inaccuracies to relieve herself of her own self-imposed guilt. I admit breastfeeding can be very difficult (it was for me, and trust me, it didn't get easier with child #2 or #3), and it is very time consuming - her description was correct. Nevertheless, I am a believer that it is your child's right to be breastfed, but that is my choice. I do know that a small percentage of women cannot breastfeed due to medical conditions or prescription medication - the priority is a healthy mom and babe. In those cases, formula is a great substitute but those children won't get all the scientifically proven benefits of breastmilk.
Ms. Eyre clearly identify the 'mays' in her essay. For me, those reasons are more than enough to prompt me to breastfeed. I am chronically worried, a natural parental reaction, one of my children 'may' be struck by a catastrophic illness - if breastfeeding reduces those risks, bring on that baby even if it is 12 times a day. I will also add breastfed children show higher IQs, less incidence of obesity as well as bed-wetting (OK, that last one doesn't hold much ground with me either!)
I will also admit, I am selfish - breastfeeding has shown it 'may' reduce breast cancer as well as help you lose those extra post-partum pounds (breast cancer, and obesity and its correlation to heart disease are some of the top killers of Canadian women). If breastfeeding helps me beat those odds, fantastic.
Also, to defend the midwives, it is their mantra to encourage and to support their patient's commitment to breastfeeding. Like everything in life, different approaches work for different babies. All those suggestions are provided to every new mom - I was just intelligent enough to figure out which one worked with each of my children. I suggest Ms. Eyre doesn't chose midwifery care in any future pregnancy, the big hospitals don't have the resources to be so supportive unless the patient is keen in pursuing assistance - she won't be driven to such guilt if no one has time to help you!
As part of my education though, I would love to see some of the research the nutritionist acquaintance has done on breastfeeding and allergies - it would be an interesting read I am sure, since it is so au contraire to anything published by reputable medical journals.
By the way, I use car seats - aside from a legal requirement, they 'may' prevent serious injury in the event of a car accident - good enough for me.
3 comments:
OMG! That article makes me so angry!! She decides to choose one nutritionists opinion over tons of research, and that is good enough for her? Sure, bfing isn't for everyone. It is time consuming. It is difficult. It is a choice. But....... there is a reason formula companies try to mimic breast milk. Even they acknowledge breast milk is healthier, but formula is a great substitute. I think every woman should make an educated choice about bfing, but this woman is clearly not educated. What is especially sad (aside from her resentment of that time nursing her baby) is that women will read this and say she's right. Why is it a controversy? I am so pro bfing, yet understand that there are many people who aren't. Fine. I'll not judge them, while they don't judge me.
OMG, what an idiotic article. I really can't stand the National Post for that reason - along with Macleans magazine, they often just publish inflammatory crap. The sad thing is, so many pregnant women will read that and take it as truth, and as an excuse to not even try breastfeeding. Sad, sad, sad. We all know it can be pretty brutal in the first weeks, but with the right help and info, it gets oh so much better.
Something was wrong if her baby still hadn't gained back his birth weight by 14 days. But why was she not getting better help?? And what's with all the conflicting advice from her three midwives? Very bizarre. Makes me wonder if she's skewed the facts to her benefit. I can't believe the ridiculous bullsh*t the one "nutritionist" was telling her. Not exactly hardcore scientific research backing up her argument. What an a$$. Haven't read anything that made me that angry in a long time!
Oh, and comparing breastfeeding to unprotected sex and maternal death rates????? I'm speechless.
Post a Comment