August 11, 2006

The quest for sleep

Sleep is an elusive resource in this household at the moment. Declan is challenging my patience at night. While we were out West at my parents, I blamed his poor sleeping on a different location and also my sensitivity to any possible noises that might disturb my parents. I was hoping for an improvement upon our return to this abode. No such luck.

For the past two weeks, Declan's sleep has been horrid. Last night was once again another test. He is difficult to get down to sleep but we seem to be able to do it eventually. I nursed him down in our bed just past 10pm. He slept until 1:30am in his bassinet beside our bed (the crib rarely works) - not bad for him, I was encouraged. But then, after being nursed down again, he was up at 2:30 and 3:30.

When he woke up at 4:30, I was done - I need sleep to face the day with Kate & Andrew. My ability to cope with all their questions is limited when I have had such little sleep - things spiral quite quickly. I rocked him, without nursing, until 5:00 - but the screaming and squirming finally got to me. I gave up - brought him downstairs and yup, turned on Baby Mozart, closed the doors and went to bed. I know he cried. Jim gets up at the unheard of hour of 5:22am (his alarm) so I know Declan wouldn't be left alone too long. I heard him crying when Jim got up.

To add, to our problems, Andrew woke up at the same time - can we say grumpy two year old come nap time. Declan was returned to me asleep (he fell asleep in Jim's arms while he attempted to read the newspaper) at 6:30ish. Kate got up around the same time. To top it all off, Kate was yelling downstairs 'Daddy, Andrew stinks'. I got up, discovered a disaster of a diaper and bathed the boy.

I am convinced our problems are principally separation anxiety, a bit of an issue with the internal clock (why can't 4am be play time), teething and a tiny bit of a cold. This too shall past. I know I will laugh at these stories one day. Also, when I am awake, I still wouldn't change anything but still, just a bit more sleep would be awesome. I am not even aiming for a full nights sleep - who needs 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep - two doses of four hours would be heavenly.

My coffee was poured before 7am and I am starting to feel a bit more alive. Oh, and the boy ... he is still sleeping.

2 comments:

mi said...

Ann,
That really sucks. I hope it improves soon! Logan was not a good sleeper, but he has had chronic ear infections. When he would start waking incessantly, it was always an ear infection, despite rarely running a fever.

Undomestic said...

Been there. Oh how I feel for you. Luckily my 8 month old usually only wakes up once a night. It's my 2 year old who keeps waking up, and waking me up. And then sometimes it's all 3. That's always so much fun. I do hope this will pass quickly for you.