May 3, 2008

Off to the races!

I love thoroughbreds. Ever since I was a tad of a child, I have loved horses and soon caught the thoroughbred bug. With the Kentucky Derby off this afternoon, I got the idea we should go see some horses. So, what would a rationale mom of four little kiddos do on a rainy Friday afternoon, take a few little kiddos to the races at Woodbine.

I asked Andrew and Kathleen if they were up for a trip to the racetrack earlier this week. Like always, my little ones are keen for a trip, even if they don't know really know the world of racetracks. How could they - four and five years old don't normally head to the track for an afternoon of betting.

We saw horses as soon as we got to the track. One trainer had his group of 10 horses out for a schooling session in the paddock. We stopped to watch them walk by the entrance. It always amazes me at the slight size of racing thoroughbreds. I sometimes wonder if the big name thoroughbreds are as small as these little minions we saw yesterday. My experience is with the aging broodmares, heavy with foal - so a bit more hefty than these little fine racing machines.

We seem to created a bit of laughter everywhere we go. We watched as one of the last little ones came down the path. Kathleen asked if it was a boy or girl. (That is a huge topic in our house, and continued throughout the afternoon.) Andrew proclaimed loudly as the filly walked by that it was definitely a girl as he couldn't see the boy parts. (We do say them correctly, and very loudly - but the Google hits might be misdirected if I use the proper term.) The poor security guard at the gate darn near fell over on that one.

We stayed for five races, of the nine race card. I wasn't there to torture my children into a rather dull, and long afternoon. I do have to say though - my children are awesome pickers. One guy we saw as we walked in wished us 'Newcomer's Luck'. And, I guess it must have worked. We bet $4 on each of the five races, $2 on two different horses. We won money on four races - and Kathleen and Andrew didn't pick the favourites at all.

The first race (which was actually the second race, we missed the first one) - Andrew & Kathleen both chose a long shot named Fast Million. They liked his name. With an apprentice on his back, a weight allowance - Fast Million came home fast and payed almost $12 on our $2 bet. I chose a horse named Sweet & Clear (by mistake) in our second race - same apprentice rider, and a female trainer with her first runner - and a long long long shot. She came home on top and paid a huge $34 on our $2 win ticket. Kathleen chose the next winner in the race - can't remember her name now but #8 with a pink saddle cloth, and a girl, another $12. The four race we watched - Andrew and I had another longshot that was edged out by a nose - no payout. He had a complete meltdown and wanted to leave immediately. Kathleen and I convinced him to stay for one last race - and he chose a buster of a horse named 'Big Diesel' while Kathleen chose another longshot to place. Wouldn't you know - Kathleen's horse came second, in a photo, for another $12 payout.

I have never taken the children to a fun activity where we actually made money - a $50 net for an afternoon of learning. Can't go wrong right? I promise I won't make it a regular family outing to help pay for a pizza dinner but we had fun.

Andrew wasn't pleased his horse lost on the last race and showed it for the entire racetrack to see. It was obvious he was tired. Everyone had a good chuckle over his episode. They found it even funnier when I mentioned that his problem was hugely exasperated not only that his horse lost, but Kathleen's horse won. He did have a wonderful time cheering on one of his horses - he can yell like the best at the racetrack.

Kathleen enjoyed the colouring book we retrieved at the service outlet and is eagerly awaiting her $20 payout (I netted the betting costs and gave her the winnings) in coins as her piggy bank won't handle paper money. Thankfully Andrew isn't too aware that his $5 payout (once in coins) is, by coin count, significantly less than his sister's return.

1 comment:

Jana said...

What fun! I haven't been to a racetrack in years, we'll have to try that sometime with the boys. Your outing sure beats the picnic lunch I just staged in our front yard on a windy 60F degree day. Brrrrrr! It's fun coming up with new, interesting things to do with the kids though!