Andrew turned four on Saturday - I can't believe it. I haven't posted anything - not because there aren't wonderful things to say about this little man, I think I have writer's block. Well, I am type away and see where it gets me.
Andrew is still reminding us we didn't serve him his favourite chicken nuggets on his birthday. It seems to be causing him quite a lot of distress, now four days later. So, I will make him chicken nuggets tonight!
Andrew registered for JK last week. I asked for afternoon classes and also secretly asked for two of my preferred teachers (which thankfully one was the attending). I like that two of the kindie teachers teach Jolly Phonics - Kathleen's current teacher and this other teacher. I wonder who we might get come September.
Andrew wasn't that enthralled by the interview (they have to take him, so performance was irrelevant). He did enjoy the toy garage that was in the room (which we also own, but never used). I was asked whether he knew his upper and lower case letters. I didn't know the answer - how bad am I? Actually, I did know he was very familiar with the upper case but had no clue whether he recognized his lower case. (Whole other post on why we seem to teach our kiddos the upper case before lower case, when it plays such a small role in the overall reading/spelling thing.) When we went to pick up Kathleen, I asked Andrew to read out the letters on the posters outside of her room, most of which are in lower case - he didn't blink an eye and read out all the lower case. I felt like running back to the kindie teacher to tell her the good news, but then realized it wouldn't have made a difference.
Andrew is very excited about going to the same school as Kathleen. I think he will do very well in the standard public school next year. Despite some of his independent quirks, he is a rather outgoing social dude and I think will have a gang of friends in no time. I think it is funny when I ask he when he gets home from school (aka daycare) if he spoke to so-n-so, usually I start with some of the girls. He typically responds with a 'Hmmmmmmm (really drawn out), no I don't think I had time today.' He cracks me up.
Andrew cannot hold a pencil properly. I remember Kathleen's teacher sent home a little pamphlet on holding pencils properly back in September so I guess this is a normal development milestone but I don't remember Kathleen having any issue with pencil holding. I think boy/girl - and my boy/my girl - Kathleen loved to colour from a very young age. I never see Andrew colouring, NEVER! He is a train/car, build-it kind of guy.
He has adopted the Jolly Phonics style of pronunciation - everything is 'RRRRRR' run. 'P' words are also very popular, or actually very unpopular - we seem to hate 'P' words, because of the bathroom connotation, of course, until they realize ppppresents, ppppizza etc.
Jim did teach him a joke a few weeks ago - that I admit he doesn't really get the punch line - but here goes.
Say lettuce, and spell cup. Oooops, I messed it up the first time I posted this entry!
Get it!
Happy Birthday my boy
No comments:
Post a Comment