October 16, 2007

The speed of learning ...

This is a jolly roger - I didn't know that, Kathleen did!

I cannot say enough about the Magic Treehouse book series. I am absolutely astounding at what Kathleen and Andrew are learning from these stories. We don't own the books, but do own every book on audio CD or the ipod. The kids go to bed each night listening to a different story.

On the way to swimming, Kathleen asked me what the pirate's flag of skull & bones was called. I thought it was called a Pirate's Flag or, heck a Skull & Bones flag. Obviously, the Jolly Roger is mentioned and described (remember this is only audio - no visual) in one of the 'Jack & Annie' tales. I am not even quite sure which one it would be - will have to ask Kathleen or Andrew tomorrow.

I have had questions about the pyramids, the titanic, the pilgrims, the plains, Shakespeare, Japan, dinosaurs, red coats & blue coats, and dingos. Some I can answer - some I can't. The kids are also very excited to meet the little boy Peter down the street again, once they found out he was from Pennsylvania.

Andrew will even introduce Jim before he starts any book we do read to the kiddos - "introducing Jim Pope Osbourne". It makes us laugh.

Well done Mary Pope Osbourne, your stories have made bedtime so much fun in this house!

No comments: