Kathleen gets me with her questions. While I think of myself as being relatively well versed in the world of things, when it comes to answering her question - I am often stumped silent!
Recently, Kathleen has had a lot of questions about God, faith and Jesus. I need some guidance!
Some recent conversations:
- "what does God look like? Is God a girl or a boy?"
Kathleen wanted to know about hair colour, skin colour. Can you see God? Is God like a ghost? She also challenged me on the interpretation whether God is male or female. I can't come up with reasonable explanations.
- "What is faith?"
How do you explain 'faith' to a child who doesn't know what beliefs mean? This question came up in the context of celebrating holidays. I mentioned that different faiths have different holidays, such as Christmas is a Christian holiday, or Rosh Hashanah is a Jewish holiday. I wasn't able to explain why Christianity and Judaism are different faiths because, well, I couldn't explain faith. I can explain the historical progression (in very simple terms) but couldn't get either of us beyond faith.
We don't practice any religion but I certainly want to raise my children very aware of the different faiths. I think it is important to have a basic level of knowledge to enhance the respect for different religions but also it is interesting to learn about the various faiths. However, as I found out, my knowledge is based on understanding the pillars of religion and faith - however, I am not sufficiently versed or creativity to convince a five year old of the meanings of some very basic but critical words.
Has anyone heard of a book of world religions for the young?
2 comments:
If you find something that works let me know!!! I'm in the very same position with some of Emma's friends coming from VERY religious families and now having to teach her the Girl Scout Oath with its "To serve God and my country"....
Wow...what a tough topic. Good luck with that!! Because we practice Judaism, all our references relate to that. "She celebrates Christmas because she is Christian. We celebrate Chanukah because we are Jewish." So far, it's stayed that simple.
Post a Comment