I sometimes think Kathleen is a little me in particular her fascination with horses and medical shows. She will be five next month and while I don't want her to grow up fast (she will always be my baby), I am so excited about the things I will get to show her as she matures. I look at art supplies, board games or books that I know I enjoyed when I was bit older than her - and can't wait to get her involved and interested!
Some of the highlights ...
Marguerite Henry horse books - as luck would have it, a new edition of many of her books is being released on Kathleen's birthday. I remember going to the local library when I was a young one and pulling those books off the shelf and reading them many many times. I don't remember the stories clearly - it was about 25 years ago - so will love it when she can read them herself. Unfortunately, the age range is 9-12 years. If she is anything like me, she will jump somewhat ahead of her reading age group but still 9 years is a long way off! I wonder if I could read a few to her - just mom & daughter horse book time! <\li>
Spiral Art - I remember the spiral art drawing circles (put a pen in one space and then with another pen, draw the funky diagrams around the central point). Perhaps, I am pointing out something that is so obvious. I have seen various sets and the age range seems a bit high for her right now. I know she would LOVE drawing with different coloured pens. She can spend 45 minutes tracing out the letters or shapes from a 'ruler' tracing thing she got in a loot bag a few months ago. I should investigate a bit further <\li>
Board games - I love to play board games. Unfortunately, my husband isn't quite as fond of the past time. I remember as a little one my mom worked nights and my dad worked days so I spent a bit of each morning playing quietly on my own while my mom got a few hours of sleep. I would have been pre-K or K so about Kathleen's age. I remember sitting down and playing board games all by myself. I still don't actually think that is very odd - what else would you do if you lived in the country, didn't have cable (or heck even an antenna or VCR) and you had to be quiet for a few hours. My neighbours were board game gurus so I spend many hours at their house playing various board games. I think one of my non-traditional favorites was a game called 'The Farming Game'. I have tried to find it since but have yet to be successful. It would even be instructional - seasons for fruit harvesting, hay, straw or oats. I always invested in herds of cattle! I am thinking Settlors of Catan is right out of the question but maybe if she is really really good, we might get there in a few more years. <\li>
Gosh this will be fun. I can only imagine the levels of amusement if any of the boys follow in my footsteps and think some of this is cool too!
4 comments:
I used to play the board game Life by myself -- I had this whole system worked out where each space was 3 months and the revenges were divorces and I'd play for 100 years (going back to marry again if I got to the end). I'd name all the kids and keep track of how old they were, booting them out of the car when they turned 18 and letting them drive at 16. No one else was willing to put up with my crazy rules, hence the playing alone.
I'm sure there are some board games Kathleen could play now. I really look forward to doing that, too. We've got Peter playing Candyland and the Orchard game now.
Hey Amy ... trust me, we play board games - Speedy snail games, Candyland, Blokus, Pony game thing, some Cranium ball game and cards (War, Go Fish, Crazy Eights and Old Maid) ... I just want to play games where I will have fun. Andrew even joins in on many of the games (if putting the trains to bed is not higher on the priority list.) Life & Sorry shouldn't be too far off the mark at this point. I will play just about anything to satisfy my board game obsession!
I loved the game Life! I'd still play it now if someone had it! No board game here yet, but thinking it may soon be time for Snakes and Ladders or Candyland.
That's one thing I wanted a girl for - to share favourite books with. Like the Ramona books, Anne of Green Gables, etc. *sigh* I'll just have to inflict my tastes on my boys.
Fond memories...my sister and I lived at the library in the summer as kids. We would join the reading club and each check out 10-15 books and then would read each other's books and go get more.
I also loved to play Life and Monopoly. It is so much fun to now be grown up and living out childhood fantasies.
Have fun with your girl and I think she needs a sister!
Post a Comment