April 25, 2007

Less than a month to go

before the Committee of Adjustment!

I can't believe how long it has taken us to get to this point but also how close we are to going before the Committee to get approval for our renovation. I have written the letter for the neighbours (and now need Jim to read and to edit) and I have my photocopied pages of the drawings and elevations for the packages. I hope to distribute all the packages this weekend. I think we have told almost all of our neighbours (the neighbours on either side do know) so I am hoping for no surprises. I still think the big old belly will help a lot in late May!

I was just looking at the original proposals provided by the architect way back in November (this has taken a really long time) and while I like his examples, I am so much happier with my proposed drawing (which he greatly enhanced). The new house will be awesome. I will admit I continue to seek out local real estate listings of similar size & era homes to convince myself our dimensions are not too small.

Andrew is now picking up on Kathleen's lead and discussing 'knocking' down the house - we keep saying after summer is over. It does become a conversation starter when Andrew peeps up about knocking down the house at the park or school. I am a bit nervous to tell him that we are far from knocking down the house but I guess when he sees the digger come make a big mud pit in the backyard, it won't make much of a difference to a three year old. Renovating should be an awesome experience for the kiddos.

I interviewed my first kitchen design place - suggested by my step 'in-laws' whom have used the place several times. I was quite impressed. I went with all my measurements, my plans and my 'sample' dream kitchen (found in a recent Cdn design magazine). The designer seemed right on track with what we wanted & needed. We might even get solid wood, with no formaldehyde, cabinets. Formaldehyde is a huge issue with my mom since she allergic so I am not only conscious of the possibility of allergies but also the negative health effects of the stuff. The designer also indicated that solid wood is much more durable ... I must have mentioned durable several times during my discussions!

One of my co-workers indicated he got designs and quotes from NINE kitchen places - I don't have the patience for nine - I am going with this one, one suggested by the contractor, one suggested by the architect and one suggested by my aunt & uncle.

My next steps - no where near as much fun - HVAC and windows! The masterbath room still has me stumped.

1 comment:

Jana said...

It's all coming together! Yes, absolutely don't interview NINE kitchen places. Holy Cow!

Guess what, we picked out a lot to buy and are going to build (as in contract out) our own house. We've always wanted to do it so here goes nothing. I am just excited to have a project!