Then, I got thinking about what a DVD would do. Do you think I would have a choice to not turn on the DVD player. We already watch more than enough television in this house. One of the great things about the kiddos going back to school will be the immediate change in our tv viewing habits. The DVD player would provide a good 45 minutes of daily mind-numbing, paralyze the kids to the screen type of drive home. I really enjoy the conversations we have - even though the questions about what the police man will do in the infinite number of scenarios conjured up by my extraordinarily thoughtful 4-year-old daughter can get a bit annoying. [OK, I wouldn't miss the police man questions!]
So, I told the good husband to nix the idea of the DVD - which, is probably a good thing because I am sure the Toyota sale isn't cheap.
It did though make me think of the great audio CDs we listen to on our daily trips. Given they are Canadian, they may not be as well advertised as they could be to the great wilds of my southernly neighbours. So here goes:

The inagural CD - Beethoven Lives Upstairs - was the Classical Kids first CD. It is quite good. Kate now even asks her teachers whether the naptime music is Beethoven or Mozart. The music snips are quite small so great for thei kiddos but the stories are actually fun to listen too, even for me.

Another great CD is - Mozart's Magnificient Voyage - which is about Mozart's son Karl seeing the life of his father. Writing this entry does remind me to buy two tickets to the Toronto Symphony Orchestra's afternoon kids program of this title - I believe they do one of these works each year. It will be Kate's first trip to a big musical production - I am excited and it isn't on until next May!

Another one - The Song of the Unicorns - in particular if you have a little girl who loves princesses and magical unicorns. I think the music is particularly good in this CD.
Alright - why stop when I am having so much fun. Two more:

Mozart's Magic Fantasy - otherwise known as the Magic Flute or the Queen of the Night (an opera - I didn't know it was an opera but I can now follow the german verison of the opera). There is a tremendous scream when the wicked Queen of the Night perishes towards the end of the CD which the children love - I have to replay it over and over again. Even the two-year-old can scream with it in unison.

Last, but not least - if you are a Christmas type of family, we listened to this a lot last December - A Classical Kids Christmas. I am already looking forward to cracking it open again this December.
1 comment:
Good for you for declining the DVD. I have a real issue with those. Not as an occasional distraction for long trips, but for the daily to and fro. Car time is the rare time when I have a captive audience with my kids. I don't have a cd player in this car, so no requests, although when they are really zonked I knock them out with the classical station. It does get tiresome to tell Hayden 500 times why the light is red, but it is such a grea time to talk with him. Even Logan has become a chatterbox on the days he can stay awake during the ride. Your cds sound wonderful. We are missing out down here!
Post a Comment