September 20, 2006

A decision to be made

Went to the pediatrician today for Declan's 9 month appointment. For those who thrive on stats - he weighs 19 lbs. and his head circumfrence is 47.5 cm - same old same old, a light weight with a big head.

The big head continues to cause us a few issues. Declan was diagnosed with mild positional plagiocephaly and torticolis at about 3 months. We went to see a physio about the tort. With repositioning and a focus on making him look over his right shoulder, the tort corrected itself very quickly. The plagiocephaly (aka flattened mis-shapen head) has not. Well, that is not exactly true - the bulge in his forehead has gotten better but the flat head and the bulge at the back of his head have not improved at all. For what it is worth, I don't think they have changed much either.

Here is a relatively recent picture - the camera doesn't do the angles quite right, it looks much more severe in real life.



As always, the ped asks the typcial questions and the 'do you have any concerns?' The head always was discussed. In our previous appointments, she passed the flatness as something that could improve and that a helmet wasn't necessary. At this appointment, her tone changed to 'borderline' need for a helmet. I am most definitely putting more weight on her words than she meant to place. I am a self-admitted obsessed momma on this topic. I had expected her to say that I must stop worrying. That isn't what I heard.

The big questions remains - do I helmet or not. I have been playing with the idea all day. Husband and I have no issues paying the money for the helmet. The hospital is very close to my work/daycare (like 4 subway stops, 15 minutes tops - don't even need the car) so it won't even be much of a bother to travel back and forth for the relatively frequent appointments over the expected three month period. My concern remains that I will be placing a helmet on my kiddo's head for a good 23 hours of each day and that the treatment will likely last about 3 months. The end result ... unknown given his 'advanced' age of 9 months, but possibly a roundish head with no flattening such that anyone who will stand taller than my eventual adult child will note that his head isn't flat at the back nor does it bulge to one side. Are husband and I so vain to let a relatively minor, cosmetic issue (clearly visible to me and everyone around him until he clears his expected 6 foot height) possibly cloud our judgement?

To not helmet, I am afraid of the guilt that I made the wrong decision - not just this month, or next year, but every time I look at the skull of my child and see its mis-shapened outline. It also doesn't help that would you do it for a girl and not for a boy or how about, your first child versus your third child?

I have to phone the doctor's office tomorrow to tell them our decision whether to submit the paper work or not.

4 comments:

Jen H. said...

If it was me, I would do it. You seem really worried about it, so why not try and fix it?

Here's a link to a girl (used to know her from the old IP days) whose daughter had the helmet for a long time and who is a goldmine of info and support about PP:

http://hannahsnoggin.typepad.com/jumping_in/

Ann said...

Hey Jen

Thanks - my obsessing is what I think made us pursue it further. Now, just guilty myself out that I am so vain!. Yes, I have already found the ultra-informative Sarah. She has had some great points - and also thought his noggin was a bit more mis-shappened than mild which is comforting to me.

Just wait for the Sick Kids appointment.

mi said...

Ann,
This has bothered you for months. Three months isn't too bad in the long run, although it certainly will seem that way at the time. What about getting a second opinion to guage the severity?

btw- I'm so glad I can put comments again. Been having trouble for days.

Courtney said...

I would just go the helmet route if it were me. I hate regret and it is your child afterall ... he will likely thank you someday for caring so much. I had a friend who had a choice for her daughter to wear a brace to set her pelvis .. it was a choice and she took it. She said she wouldn't have it any other way now that it is done.