
His favorite toys remain Thomas the Tank Engine. He will play trains for hours if not distracted with other activities, like eating, diaper changes or Kate. His play scenarios are elaborate with Tophatt, Gordon, Thomas, Spencer, Annie & Clarabelle and the Express Coaches having terrible terrible train crashes every few minutes. He can lay down on his belly and read the Thomas Playbooks for an incredibly long period of time. He can name pratically ever engine in the booklet. Thankfully, they provide the names of all those darn engines because neither husband or I are able to remember some of the less common engines. He has, though, developed an interest in the vehicle characters from the movie 'Cars'. His favorites, of course, are Mater and Lightning McQueen.
His eating habits are attrocious. He has so won the food battle in this house. Our meals are seriously restricted to the 'tan' food groups - nuggets, hot dogs, breads, plain pasta. Daycare even got into the game before summer vacation and asked whether it was OK to offer him plain pasta after he rejects his daycare meal so that he actually eats something. First meal back at daycare was a disaster but was happily surprised to hear that he ate three servings of chicken curry with rice the next day. Well done little man.
I think his language skills are doing quite well. I understand him most of the time but do rely on Kate to translate a bit of his language. I think it is funny she seems to be able to understand every word. He is beginning to pick up on expressions and repeat them, to delight his parents. My favorite - 'Hmmm, let me see' as he thinks about the choices just presented to him. He even puts on finger up to his lips to really show he is contemplating his options. He does pick-up Kate's 4-year-oldish behaviour - I was told by daycare yesterday that he announced very loudly and very clearly that lunch was disguisting. (Ooops, we only use that word when the kids spit out their meals or pick their noses - I guess he can transfer to other scenarios too!)
Toilet training has been a disaster. He enjoys sitting on the potty but has never produced. We can sit there every 30 minutes or so with no action only to have a pee accident just a few minutes after the potty experience. He never forgets to ask for his M&M. I know it will come but I am pretty convinced he just isn't quite ready. At least he is willing and happy to follow me to get his diap changed - the times of battle have thankfully past.
His favorite books are anything about trucks, his 'Cars' movie book and 'I Stink'. We can read those books over and over again without any fight from him.
He got his hair cut last week. That experience was much less traumatic than prior hair cutting events. Everyone is always so amazed at his blondiness and his whiteness too. It will be interesting to see whether he gets darker hair as he gets older.
He is always keen for a game with Kate. The two of them play very very well together. He is, however, getting so much bigger and heavier that Kate is losing the physical advantage. I am keen to experience the family dynamic as Declan gets older and joins the fray - will Kate & Andrew lose some of their closeness in favour of the boys versus the girl? It is fun to think of what will happen, all in due course.
Good boy Andrew!
No comments:
Post a Comment