September 11, 2006

September 11: 5 years after

My children and I are staying home today. I have another week or so before I return to work and while the children could go to daycare today, I decided a family day was the best use of our time. Transitioning to daycare can wait one more day. I now think of the Oklahoma bombing in conjunction with the 9/11 terrorist attacks. I think of the daycare that was bombed that day in Oklahoma and I think of the parents who lost their little loved ones. I can't imagine. My daycare is located in the tower where I work.

Despite 5 years, I can relive that day as if it was yesterday. I am a long way from New York and I am not American but I remember. I was at work 5 years ago, high in the tower that I have called my workplace for 8 years as of last week. I was married but childless. I watched on the various television screens at my workplace as airplanes crashed into the towers in New York and the Pentagon in Washington, and crashed alone in the distant field in Pennsylvania. I watched as the towers fell, unable to grasp at that time, the loss of life of those who had simply gone to work that day, those who had taken a trip bound for California or those who were dispatched to save them. I eventually left my tower and walked out of downtown Toronto as I refused to ride on any claustrophobic subway transit system. I picked up a home pregnancy test as I left the downtown core. I found a cab, and it took me home.

We did find out we were pregnant that day. After 10 months of waiting, our time had come. I was excited but obviously stunned as I watched the news events that day. I hope I will never experience such a dichotomy of emotions again in my life.

I plan to have a lot of fun today. We are going to the park, to the coffee shop and maybe even to the bakery. We will read a book, have a nap and share lots of hugs.

No comments: