When we went to dinner at a friend's house a few years ago, one of the guests brought cannoli from a bakery, which we were told was close to our then-new house. The host loves the little treat - a deep-fried tube filled with ricotta cream - and I figure out I did too. We did ask for the address of the local bakery but since we had just moved to the hood, I never did visualize where that bakery was actually located.
My answer arrived today in the form of the National Post (we also get the Globe and Mail - a lot of newspaper reading is done in this house). One journalist is writing a series call 'Walk across Toronto.' Yesterday, he crossed in to my neighbourhood and grabbed a snack at a local bakery which specializes in cannoli. The bakery is located very close to my grocery store and so isn't even out of the way for my travels. The article goes into a lot of depth about why these little cannolis (is that the proper plural form?) are superior to many other sources in the big city. This place makes their cannoli shells from scratch, which supposedly makes them much less brittle. Many of the other city bakeries simply import their shells from Italy. The also add a touch of vinegar to the batter, which makes the shell tangy and a bit chewy.
Stopping at local bakery with three kiddos always take a bit of planning (so much easier to just stop once) but alas, I have been dreaming of those cannolis for two years - and I have finally found them.
2 comments:
Oh my Ann!! You definately are a working mom, having to dream for two years about cannolis that is down your street and never finding them! Glad the newspaper man could come to the rescue - now to just plan the great exodus
Mmmmm...makes me miss the big city.
Post a Comment