June 27, 2006

About Declan - at six months


I have yet to write about my littlest one, Declan. Declan was born on January 5, 2006 so that makes him almost six months old. We went to the pediatrician yesterday for that milestone check-up. The little gaffer weighs 17lbs. 4 oz. (or 7910 grams to be exact), is 28 inches long and has a head circumference of 46.5 cm. Those stats put him at 50% for weight, 90% for height and over 97% for head - he hasn't faltered from his curve. I cannot believe he was my 8lb. 1oz, 21 inch, 37cm head babe only six short months ago.

I am amazed at how fast the time has flown since his birth. As with the arrival with both prior babes, it takes such a short period of time to forget about life pre-new baby. I cannot imagine not having added this little one to our clan.

The pediatrician's nurse practitioner went through the milestones with me yesterday - does he respond to his name. I was blown away that was a milestone - no, he doesn't respond to his name. He barely knows the feet he puts in his mouth are actually attached to his own body. You think he knows his name. I can only guess that the milestone is actually more related to his attachment to me (and his dad and siblings) or his ability to hear. He definitely responds to my voice. After a bit of thought, I did express that - he definitely knows who I am and turns readily to my voice. I think he makes the milestone. If only one the milestones was does he see you when you lift your shirt up - now, he definitely reacts best to that motion. (I tease him by flashing him all the time - dh, I would imagine, finds it unattractive - ds loves it!)

My only concern remains his relatively flat head in the back and the diagonal axis of his head (forehead bulges slightly and there is a definite asymmetric head, in particular at the back). They call this positional plagiocephaly - I let him lay on his head too much as a very young baby. He also had mild torticollis but that has improved significantly since our first, and only, physiotherapy session in early May. His rather large skull (see above) didn't help - gravity pushes down - his head settled flat. The ped continues to think the odd birds eye view is cosmetic only. DH brought up the point (he is more concerned than me) that fixing ones teeth with braces is also solely cosmetic but we would do it for our kids regardless of the discomfort and 'odd look' of the treatment. Since we are heading out West to see my parents in less than 2 weeks, we wouldn't pursue any treatment yet - but the ped said to call back upon our return if we still were concerned with his head shape. I am not at all keen on the helmet treatment.

No comments: